Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P. primuliflora cuttings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Alright, I just got some primuliflora cuttings in the mail from Dewy (Thanks!) and I'm not attempting to root them. I have both of them sitting in peat, with the pot in water and a plastic bag over them. I have the pot sitting on an east-facing windowsill. Any other suggestions?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know... I'm not really sure how P. primuliflora leaf cuttings would fare. If it were Mexican Pings, I'd say you would have success. I've always perpetuated P. primuliflora through plantlets. I now just take Mexi-ping leaves and just plunk them in wet, live LFS, uncovered. Works very well. I'm a litle nervous about covering them, for fear of mold. I, personally would keep wet and uncovered. Wait for more responses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah! That's right, I've heard primuliflora do attract mold more than other pings. I'll leave them uncovored, just for tonight, and see how they are in the morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I left the bag off of them last night, and this morning they looked just as good as when I put them in. I'm a bit confused though, because in Savage Garden, it says to keep them moist and covered. I think I'll just leave the bag off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me know what page that was on and when I get home, I'll check it out when I get home from work. I'm trying to determine that was a general statement or one specific for P. primuliflora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it wasn't specific, but it says to keep covered for Drosera cuttings, and pretty much every seed for every plant. The book didn't really say that much about primulaflora.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good general rule of thumb. I am also having success by placing leaf cuttings on top of wet, live sphagnum - D. filiformis, two types of Mexican pings, and Cephalotus follicularis - uncovered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since primuliflora's succeptible to mold, though, I'm worried about covering it. It's been about 3 days so far uncovered, and the cuttings are still nice and green. I think I'll leave them uncovered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast