What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi-natural feeding

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
I have been using freeze-dried bloodworms, expensive stuff, sold as food for tropical fish. I had been powdering it and sprinkling it on my CP.

I recently invested in a free supply of very similar material. I purchased an electric bug killer. It uses a blue fluorescent light and a high-voltage electrical contacts to lure and kill insects that fly at night. I placed a glass mixing bowl beneath the device and most are still in the bowl the next morning. I must get there before the birds clean out my bowl. Some are just stunned so I put the bowl in the microwave on high for 15 seconds. Then I dump them into a smaller plastic container which I place on my fluorescent plant light ballast to dry them out. Once they are dry I grind them with a coffee grinder, electric. Dry them out a little more and then rub them through the screen I have been using for the freeze-dried bloodworms. So far, so good.

Hope that coffee grinder doesn't get used for coffee too..

Greetings,

I've been doing something similar, although my methods are more primitive.  There's a huge any swarm outside the place where I work.  Early in the morning the sidewalk is completely covered with them.  I use a long stick and touch the ground.  The ants immediately start clinging to it.  I shake the stick into a tall narrow bottle and repeat this procedure until I have a bunch of ants (it doesn't take long).  I cap the bottle and pop it in the freezer.  I take it out after an hour and spread the ants on a sheet in the sun to dry.  I then powder them using a mortar and pestle.  

Brian

PinguiculaMan, I saw a post of yours a while ago talking about the dried blood worms. I've been using them for my sticky-leaved cp's and have really been pleased with the results. Unfortunately, being on the coast we just don't have many flying insects here, so this technique has been a great help. My plants and I both thank you!
biggrin.gif

Joseph, you're a sadist at heart!  
smile_n_32.gif
I've been having success with placing banana peels and the like in a cup, with an opened window. Like magic, fruit flies appear. I jostle the cup and the fruit flies jettison in to my greay, sticky plants.

Back