Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mexican pings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I found some silica sand this morning. Hopefully, my son will have time to take me to pick it up. I'll play a bit with the mixture as various people have suggested. I think starting 50:50 is best for now.
    Diana Pederson
    Michigan
    obsessivegardening.com
    christianreviewer.com
    livingwithcockatiels.com

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (cockatielmother @ July 04 2005,3:35)]At the website called A World of Pinguicula, I found this all minteral based recipe for mexican pings:

Then, this is my basic medium (in volumetric units) :

2 perlite, 2 vermiculite, 1 pouzzolane (lava rock), 1 aqualite (can be replaced by one more unit of pouzzolane), 1 fine sand, 1 coarse sand, 1 calcareous clay. All well mixed.

Does anyone use an all mineral media for these? If so, would you advise leaving out peat like that website does?
    If I was you I would trust that grower, he is a world expert in Pinguicula and I believe he discovered some new species aswell

BTW for my mexican Pings I use: 1:1:1:1 peat, sand, perlite, vermiculite
    When I used 1:1 peat sand, my pings roots rotted [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

The "orchidioides" and "mexicana" should be relabeled as moranensis var. orchioides and moranensis var. mexicana.

Unfortunately, the International Pinguicula Study Group no longer exists...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you believe I actually sent Partrat a thank you note for that website yesterday?

I can't find the aqualite stuff he is talking about but I got the message to keep this a high mineral media.

I am LEARNING SO MUCH here. I have an associate in horticulture but they over simplify too much stuff and didn't even cover cps that I remember. It's always a nice new challenge learning to grow different plants.
    Diana Pederson
    Michigan
    obsessivegardening.com
    christianreviewer.com
    livingwithcockatiels.com

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (CP2k @ July 05 2005,3:32)]Unfortunately, the International Pinguicula Study Group no longer exists...
    There WAS one? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] What happened to it? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the past few months since I have started cultivating Mexican Pinguicula, I have found that they will grow and even thrive and bloom in a wide variety of conditions and potting mediums. That said, I think the lighter the potting medium, the happier the plant. Those plants I have growing in mixes with the least amount of peat seem to do the best in my conditions.

I have also found that most forms of P. moranensis propagate as easily as dandelions and are just as hardy and unkillable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cockatiel,

Don't worry about not being able to find aqualite, it is a European product so odds are no one this side of the pond can get a hold of it. Perlite works fine as a substitute. Basic grey kitty litter (no perfumes or any of that junk added) is equivalent to the clay Eric uses too I have been told. Clay pellets are a good substitute too though the small ones (3-5mm) are really hard to come by. Try hydroponics sources. For crushed coral the best bet is a PetCo or Petsmart but any salt water fish dealer should have it.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok Pyro:

I even have some pumice available (just 5 lbs but that is more than enough to pot up 7 plants!). I'll pick up a bag of perlite and spaghum peat tomorrow. I can get the hydrocorn (fired shale) from a local hydroponics store IF they will order me the smaller size.

I'm not worrying about the silica sand until I create my outdoor containerized bog gardens. By then I am sure my son will have found time to take me to pick up a couple of 50 pound bags from our local pool supply store.

I am getting excited about seeing the plants.
    Diana Pederson
    Michigan
    obsessivegardening.com
    christianreviewer.com
    livingwithcockatiels.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast