Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi:

I've lost P. cyclosecta and P. primuliflora to mold.

I've kept them in a tray that I added water to every other day. Is this too much humidity for these particular species? The others are still looking good and even showing a bit of growth.

They're in a mixture of 1/2 lfs and 1/2 perlite.
    Diana Pederson
    Michigan
    obsessivegardening.com
    christianreviewer.com
    livingwithcockatiels.com

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never grown P. cyclosecta.
    I have failed twice with P. primuliflora to rot. I can grow them good spring to fall but winter they rot. So I gave up on them.
    I grew them outside where they received early morning and late evening sun and were shaded from the midday sun.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much light are they getting? My best advice would be to "up" the light if possible and lower the humidity a bit if you are growing them in a terrarium.

-Homer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P. primuliflora rots alot anyway.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (cockatielmother @ Aug. 02 2005,8:49)]Hi:

I've lost P. cyclosecta and P. primuliflora to mold.

I've kept them in a tray that I added water to every other day. Is this too much humidity for these particular species? The others are still looking good and even showing a bit of growth.

They're in a mixture of 1/2 lfs and 1/2 perlite.
    promuliflora tends to rot fairly often anyway, but they tend to rot less often in pure lfs

As for P.cyclosecta, that is a mexican Pinguicula and that mix is far too wet-I remember telling you this before!
    A good mix for mexican Pinguicula is 1:1:1 peat, perlite, sand or 1:1:1:1 peat, perlite, sand vermiculite
    As a general rule, mexican pings like very good drainage
    I would repot your other mexican Pings into the one above mixes(though I usppose you could swap the peat for lfs) or they will rot sooner or later too
    Trust me, Ive had my mexican pings in a mix like that before.....and I lost a lot to root or crown rot
    But since Ive changed to using 1:1:1:1 peat, perlite, sand, vermiculite, I havnt lost a single one to root rot
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mine in a mix of sand & peat, topdressed with LFS, open tray. I water twice a week and haven't had any rot awat, though I do see an occasional piece of mold, that is easily removed. Light, air circulation, and letting the water level vary seem to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first P.primuliflora rotted within two weeks sitting in 2" of water in a terrarium with good light and air circulation.

I've had my second one now for 3 months and it is very healthy and producing plantlets. It's in the same terrarium and the only difference is that it isn't standing in water anymore. I water only to keep the soil just moist.

However, as JLAP said, P.primuliflora is very prone to rot and you may have just been unlucky.

And Jim, I'm glad to hear your primulifloras are still doing well. I'm going to acquire another and see how it does outside of a terrarium open tray under fluoros.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my primulifloras in a terrarium potted in pure LFS and is kept just moist. They can handle various light levels from bright indirect light to 6 hours of direct sun. They grow best under fluorescent grow lights though.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast