What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. luscitanica

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Is it coincidence that my P. luscitanica flowers - and then promtly dies?

I think they are annuals, but I am not sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dewy @ Aug. 25 2005,5:30)]I think they are annuals, but I am not sure.
yes they are

They are annuals but I have had some going on 2 years now.
They flower and flower and flower. Must have been coincidence.

I also have had plants live for more than a year, but it is not uncommon for many of them to die after an orgy of flowering. Fortunately, for me, P. lusitanica is the D. capensis of the Ping world and little volunteer seedlings pop up everywhere.

I have seedpods saved out and I wouldn't be surprised to see some seedling popping up.

Eh... P. lusitanica isn't nearly as easy to germinate as D. capensis. x.x; I know this from experience.

I must be the ony person who is completely unsuccessful with P. lustanica. The first year they grew well and produced seed before dying off. The resulting seedlings just never really grew and slowly died away so I now have none left. I wish they were as easy as capensis. So far they are the only pings I have not been able to grow for any length of time
smile_h_32.gif

I guess we all have our "Achilles heel".
biggrin.gif
And would ya believe there are folks who can't grow capensis?
confused.gif

Interesting. Perhaps growing climate is a big influence. My P. lusitanica are growing in my unheated/uncooled greenhouse near the foggy Pacific coast. During summer, the max daytime temp in the greenhouse is about 28C (82F) and nighttime about 9C (48F). During winter, max daytime occasionally reaches about 24C (75F) in the greenhouse on a sunny day and nighttime min about 1C (34F).

EDIT: OOPS. Sorry, I forgot that I was on a U.S. Forum where folks have non-metric conversations.

I don't think my problems are due to climate. There are parts of the UK where lustanica grows in the wild and other growers in this country seem to have no problem. I think this one is just as Jim says "my achilles heel." Maybe I should give them another try.

I'm on try #3 right now. This time I'm positive at least one will germinate.

BTW, here's an easy way to convert Celsius to Farenheit in your head.... You just take the number you want to convert, double it, round up to the nearest ten or 5, then add 32. That should get you a good number.

EXAMPLE: 28C.... 28+28 = 56 = 60+32=92. I think that's a pretty accurate conversion.

The actual formula is C x 5/9 + 32 = F

I dare someone to do that in their head. Estimating rocks.

I grow mine on the windowsill.
I placed some seed in my minibog that is out in full sun. Very few germinated and they were the ones shaded by other plants.
On the windowsill I see them popping up in other pots when I waited too long to collect the seed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ Aug. 26 2005,2:38)]EXAMPLE: 28C.... 28+28 = 56 = 60+32=92. I think that's a pretty accurate conversion.

The actual formula is C x 5/9 + 32 = F
Close, but no award.
28C = 82F (not 92F)

The actual formula is (C x 9/5) + 32 = F

...well I was close.... ok then..after all that just minus 10 off of it! Lol.

It must be the cool temps. I have P. lusitanica all over the place now. It's in nepenthes pots on the shelves below the pings. It's in drosera pots nearby. It's everywhere, and there are dried seed pods I haven't cut down yet just standing in there, ready to spread themselves further. I haven't known any of them to die.

Capslock

Max, you just described my spatulata, intermedia, capensis, and subluata!

Back