What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cactus id?

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
smile.gif
Ok found this cactus when i was looking for tiny tropical house plants for my terrarium today and snatched it up as it was the only one like it in with all the other cactus, can someone possible tell what type it is? It didnt have anything on it other than a price tag. I thought it was pretty and it has these blood red spines. Should i transffer it to a bigger pot and set it in the windowsill or put it under a light on my counter?
newcactus1.jpg

I opened up my back door to try and get a pic of it under natural light but it was a very gloomy day here so the pic didnt come out that great.
newcactus2.jpg

smile_l_32.gif
Hhhhhmmmmmm no one knows what this cactus is?? Thats a bummer..
smile_h_32.gif

Euphorbia enopla. Not a cactus!
biggrin.gif
I love this plant and grow it myself.

Cheers

Thank you shokuchuu,
smile_m_32.gif
wow thats wierd that it looks like it would be a cactus and for some reason they are listed under cactus from the few links i have found is there a better link/site i can check you know of that can help with info and better care info as well that you can post for me?? I really like this plant its very pretty and cool looking, the blood red spines are awsome. Im glad i snatched it up as i have never seen one befour in all the yrs the stores have had cactus forsale.

I know, it's what makes these plants so interesting. Think of them as the "cacti" of Africa. As for them being labelled as cacti, don't worry - I work at a supposedly well-reputed garden centre which sells them as cacti (but at least with correct labelling), but only because the people printing the labels either have no knowledge or are just too lazy.
I find them more vigorous than many true cacti as well (typical for Euphorbiaceae - weeds!), and can take more water in the growing season. If you didn't know already, try to avoid the sap as much as you can.
You could try this website as reference, but I still haven't found one that provides all the information. They're easy enough anyway.
Good growing!

Cheers

smile.gif
Thank you once again shokuchuu, thats a cool site and it shows much better pics of this plant also wow i didnt know they were poisonous.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Well im glad i dont have any little kids or animals that can get to it, its in my office window at this time. How would one go about transplanting/repoting it without getting poked?

Hi *Barracuda_45*
You might find that all you need are gloves and goggles to repot. Otherwise, the spines really aren't bothersome, being slightly blunt and woody, not like the needles of certain cacti. It's not so much being poked by the spines that matters, but breaking them off, which'll make them bleed.

Cheers

Back