What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some kind of epiphyte...

Got a few segments from my Grandma...actually the folks bought the plant and treated it like a normal cactus...it obviously didn't do well and promptly withered. So my Dad sent what was left to her and after 1-2 years under her care she managed grown quite a bit of it. A few segments similar in size to these were flowering...the flowers are a bit larger than a 50 cent piece and purple pink...but I cannot describe colors well. I believe the plant may have been purchased at Trader Joes.

DSCN1204.jpg

Here they are. Dabbed a bit of rooting hormone or something round them so we'll see how they work.

Looks like some kind of epiphyllum, "jungle cactus."

looks like an easter cactus, Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri, not 100% sure though

Looks almost like a X-mas cactus.

-Ben

doesnt look quite right for Schlumbergera bridgesii, still think its prolly Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri

Rattler: I'm pretty darn'd sure you've got the genus right at least. Are their any similar species? Is this species common enough to be found commercially? Flower color is variable correct? Most photos show red flowers.

Thanks to all who gave it a shot.

Looks like an Easter Cactus to me too.  There are any number of hybrid cultivars of this beauty with every flower color you can imagine.  

There is another possibility, but I forget the name now....but it was monotypic (Possibly Rhipsaldiopsis) and probably reassigned to Rhipsalis.  Sorry I can 't help more.

In cultivation it  grows like Schlumberga and needs attention to photoperiod to flower, and it is usually around Easter (and sometimes November) that it flowers.

NEat plant!

what Tamlin said, los of culivars with a variety of colors. i can find the species here in Outer Montana around easter so yes its quite common in cultivation.

It is most deffinately a Hatiora/Rhipsalidopsis hybrid usually consisting of H. gaertneri X H. rosea A little difficult at times, but highly commercialized and very available.

Bright indirect light and damp soil should do it well.

Joe

Back