What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My mini Aloe is flowering

I've had this little mini aloe for around 2 years, and it hasn't done much cept grow a little bit. But, today, somehow only today, I noticed a really tall flowerstalk admist my plants. I thought, "Utricularia?", but quickly realized that I had no Utrics on my windowsill. It turns out it was my mini aloe.

dscn2268.jpg

Can anyone identify it as it is? Or would you need a flower pic?

-Ben

maybe A. rauhii or a hybrid.

Nice! I love succulents!

Thanks. I don't know much about Aloes, but is it rare for them to flower?

-Ben

I dont think so.

I just googled it. I dunno anything about them except that they look cool
smile.gif
I should increase my Aloe and Haworthia collection!

I have a different type of aloe that I grow. I can confirm they are grown for their folliage and not their flowers which on mine were sorta banana shaped and colored about the same shade of yellow.

Ok, thanks guys! I'll post pics when the flowers open.

-Ben

I used to have one of those. When it flowered, the flowers were always somehow pointing directly at my bed. It was really creepy - I even rearranged my whole room once to see if it was just tracking the light coming from my window, and the next day it was facing my bed again. I got rid of that plant.
~Joe

Lol, to tell ya the truth, its doing the same thing. I could have sworn its flower stalk was straight last night, but now I think it's starting to point towards my bed. I should make several photos of it to see how it moves in a day.

-Ben

I'm now paying more attention to the movement of the flower stalk, and it seems to be able to make a full rotation within 1-2 hours. I come into the room 20 minutes later, and the stalk has moved considerably.

-Ben

They're out to get us all! :p
~Joe

Yup.
smile_n_32.gif
Turns out, my plant rotated the immature flower buds counter clockwise throughout the whole day, 'til when it finished a full circle, straightened out, bent back, at then straight again. Interesting "behavior".

-Ben

I wonder if this mini is going to stink like the regular aloe does.  I had a friend say she got her aloe to bloom and ended up tossing it outside because when the flowers opened it smelled like a dead squirl or something.  She said it was putrid!
That is interesting behavior of the flower stalk. Kinda strange, but interesting. Maybe its trying to watch you, and when your out the room it just rotates around to find you! LOL

Dead squirrel, pretty neat. Lol, I think it'll smell like normal flowers, because someone said their Aloe attracted humming birds.

Yeah, I think this plant is just messing with me.
smile_n_32.gif

-Ben

Ok, it opened today. Pretty spectacular isn't it?

dscn2304.jpg

-Ben

Back