What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cactus and Succulent Help

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Hello. These plants came from Walmart and Lowes. Most of them were not labeled, or were labeled with a broad, common name. I'm hoping you guys can help me put a name to some, if not all my plants. Here are a few pictures.

1) This one I received as a "Tiger Jaws"
TigerJaws.jpg

2) This one is a "Mosaic Aloe"
MosaicAloe.jpg

3)
4.jpg

4)
3.jpg

5)
2.jpg

6)
1.jpg

7) This one isn't a cactus nor a succulent, hopefully you guys don't mind. This one grows outside and comes back year after year even after the abuse of being run over with the lawn mower several times. I only know it as a "Flaming Star".
FlamingStar.jpg

FlamingStar2.jpg

Thanks,
Crystal

Number 6 looks like a Haworthia, and 7 is a Hibiscus.

#1 = Faucaria tigrina. (Probably). This is a Mesemb, and has special watering requirements.

#4 = Adromischus cristatus

gah! i love #1 and 2!

#2 even says the scientific name on its tag, which is Aloe harlana.

-Ben

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've done some more research and think I have found out what a few of these are based on your guesses.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]#2 even says the scientific name on its tag, which is Aloe harlana.
I've stopped trusting tags. I've found a few pictures of A. harlana and my plant seems a bit off. It looks more like A. jucunda to me.

I believe #6 is a Haworthia fasciata,
#4 an Adromischus cristatus,
#3 Opuntia microdasys, but could really be anything due to it appearing to be a young plant.

I still have no idea what #5 and #7 are. I agree that #7 has flowers that appear to be similar to Hibiscus, but I have never seen a Hibiscus with 4-5 points on the leaves. Before the plants started blooming this year, I actually had someone trespass on my property and cut several buds out of one of my plants, mistaking it for Cannabis most likely
confused.gif
. The cuts were perfectly slanted and smooth such as that from a knife, and were too tall for any animal around here to reach.

Crystal

I was the first one to tell you it was indeed a hibiscus
smile.gif
. They must not smoke too much to mistake MJ buds for Hibisus buds
smile.gif
Or maybe they were smoking too much
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Can't tell you exactly what species though.

Looks like the cops got confused, too.
Major Hibiscus Bust

thats hillarious that someone took the buds for that. thats one of those hardy hibiscus types. Number 5 almost looks like a san pedro cactus. Probably wrong but its very similar.

Number 7 is indeed a hibiscus. It is Hibiscus coccineus.

#5 is not T. panachoi. T. panachoi is "lumpier" with fewer and smaller spines.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Number 7 is indeed a hibiscus. It is Hibiscus coccineus.
I never would have believed that it is a hibiscus, but I've been proven wrong. Thanks guys! I have lots of seeds from this plant that I collected this year. I'm still trying to get some to germinate though to see if they are viable. I'll put some up for trade if they ever sprout.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thats hillarious that someone took the buds for that. thats one of those hardy hibiscus types.
I thought it was quite funny myself. I was looking at the plant one day and thought the tops looked funny. Sure enough someone had cut them out! My dad has always joked about the authories coming to the house one day accusing it of being marijuana. Guess it could really happen! Lol
laugh.gif

I'm still at a loss at what #3 and #5 are.

Thanks everyone for your inquiries. It's greatly appreciated.
Crystal

#5 is T. peruvianus. BTW, that Hybiscus also comes in double form as well.

Joe

Back