What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is It Suppose To Look Like This

• Thread starter sarahpa
  • Start date
HPIM0704.jpg

It looked like this when it was given to me, i had it for about 2 months it dosen't look like it has grown at all. It was in a very big pot, and had not been repotted over a year so i repotted it in to a smaller one. Please let me know if it looks ok or if i did the wrong thing very new at the whole plant thing.

It looks fine to me. It appears to have been a much larger Christmas Cactus and was cut and trimmed. Everything you see is probably just new growth after the cuttings. My Christmas Cactus stalls on growth for months at a time. Just keep treating it how you are treating it and see what happens.

xvart.

Other than it's the most lopsided cutting I've ever seen it looks fin to me. Is it a rooted cutting? Or was it a branch that was just stuck into the soil to root? Over time it will eventually fill out and look more balanced.

I have no idea how this plant came to be but it look like this when i got it from a freind,
what she did to it is unknown. I haven't seen any growthon it at all.

It looks like some kind of Schlumbergera. No worries, as xvart said, they are pretty dormant until spring when they start putting out new growth. I tend to be heavy on the fertilizer and they grow like mad for me.

You can try to even out the lopsidedness by using phototropism to your advantage--shift the plant so the most light hits it on the side where there are no leaves, and the plant will respond by growing toward the light. It may or may not produce a dramatic difference.

Also, the stall in growth is nothing at all to worry about, especially since 2 months ago it would have still been winter.

Oh--another idea. If the lopsidedness really bothers you, take cuttings and root them around the plant. Christmas Cactus roots extremely easily. Just pull off a section (or two together, which I find makes it root faster/stronger) and stick them in the soil around the plant. As they start growing, the pot will look more full and you have the added benefit of having hacked off the lopsidedness.

Back