What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cactus's in an aquarium?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Can I keep cactus's in a ten gallon tank? Will they do well in there? I have an empty tank now and I don't want it to go to waste, so I was thinking of cactus's ??? I would need a special light right?

I don't know if an aquarium is the best place for cacti. I'd be afraid that they'd stay moist too long after you watered them or it'd get too humid. It'd also be hard to get enough light for them. During the winter they don't need as much but during summer when they're growing they need full sun. If you like succulents though I could see haworthia, gasteria, and other similar succulents doing okay in a terrarium. They don't require so much light and can handle being moist longer. You'd still have to leave the lid off to keep it from getting too humid and preventing their pots from drying out though.

Thanks for the info. I guess I won't do it then.

My friend does it, hes never done ANYTHING to a cactus except care for it, he has them in a 10 gallon aquarium, but this is what he does... he fills the bottom with calcium(pet store)sand. Then he makes holes and just puts it in there. Then he just pours water on each cactus. Also, mine are outside, and they got flooded, but a few hardy ones lived.

I may try that. Thanks :)

Hey Trapper7, i know its been awhile since this thread was started but theres nothing wrong with putting small cactuses in a tank as long as the air can get to them and circulate around them and theres no humidity build-up, also you have to remember that if you have this open top tank sitting infront of a window for sunlight you wont need additional lighting as it would cause the tank inside to heat up to much even with no top on it. I am gona be setting up my winter cactus tank soon and i will post up pics of how i go about doing that and pics of everything i do and then the finished tank with cactuses, ya gota remember though if its summer time the cactuses in the tank in the house will need less watering than if they were outside not in a tank due to the heat and air circulation, also durring winter months you HARDLY ever have to water them so that the roots dont rot durring there winter dormancy state.

Thanks, Cuda :) I'd love to see pictures of your tank when it's all set up!

I kept some cacti and succulents in a terrarium once and one of them tried to kill me. True story.
~Joe

Back