What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long-dormant Euphorb - what can I do?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, my favorite plant in my collection, a mature Jatropha podagrica, went dormant about two years ago and never really came back. It slowly grows taller each year, and the stem is still green, but it no longer makes the big, crazy leaves and flowers that made it really special. I have one baby from seed that's healthy and normal, but probably 10-20 years behind my big one. What should I do? Could I be underwatering it? I feel like I shouldn't keep it wet unless it has lots of light, and that's only when I put it out in the summer. Overall, I'm probably very inconsistent with it, because I just don't know what to do. It used to be really easy! Any tips?
Thanks,
~Joe

???Joe i dont know much about this plant, how tall is it? Could it maybe need more light than what it gets ??? maybe a cacti and succulent fertalizer in with the water when watering at certain times? Try going over to CactiGuide.com and going into the forums and post this Q over there, some guys over there can help ya on this.. ;) I hope you get the answers ya need..

Hmm... I guess I could try some fertilizer. I try to give it light as much as possible, but it's over three feet tall in the pot so it's difficult. They hail from the same range as Mexi Pings, if I recall, so I try to treat it similarly. It used to make leaves freely even in somewhat shady conditions - I sometimes wonder if too much light could be an issue. I'll try that forum when I have a little free time later on.
Thanks,
~Joe

Not an easy species in my experience, I lost the plant. Others say otherwise. From my experiences with other members of the genus, I would suggest you repot into a fresh soil or at least evaluate the need for this. As a caudiciform species the stem base and roots can swell and crowd the plant, roots get compacted and subsequent growth and flowering are inhibited. Many of the caudiciform species burst into growth after repotting into a slightly larger pot. A mix high in orchid bark sand and leaf mold, warmth, much sun and semifrequent light nutrition (during active growth) are desirable. It's a wonderful plant, best of luck!

Orchid bark - interesting. I'll give that a try. I only have one or two kinds of pots larger than the one it's already in, but if it makes it happy, it's not a problem for me. I had heard that they were good potted plants, but I guess that's just when they're small. :)
Have you ever seen one planted outdoors? I really wish I lived in zone 10 - I've only seen them in full growth in pictures. When I got mine it was a little over a foot tall and almost two feet wide with the leaves; I couldn't believe that the adults grow to the size of large bushes.
Thanks for your tips!
~Joe

Back