User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone do a Pereskiopsis "speed demon" graft?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone do a Pereskiopsis "speed demon" graft?

There is a strange, ancient cacti called Pereskiopsis (not Pereskia though they look quite similar) which is a fast growing single stem tropical type plant with 4" lancolate leaves. Grafting onto this is said to be the fastest way to go from seedling to flowering adult in even the slowest growing cacti (ariocarpus, astrophytum, etc) in about a year as Pereskiopsis needs to be treated like a tropical houseplant not a cactus, lots of water, warmth and food.

On the cacti forum people said they didn't like Pereskiopsis grafts because it sometimes had a habit of causing the plants to become a clump instead of one big single head. I rather like the various sized clump look with the "matron" in the middle and all the pups around it. But each "offset" or whatever could be snapped off and made to root as a separate plant couldn't it if someone liked the single head look? To me, Pereskiopsis seems like a dream plant that might let me have some real neat, large plants quickly.

I was wondering if any of you have used this for grafting and if so what are your experiences with using it? After it outgrew the Pereskiopsis stem did you regraft to a Trichocereus stock or something to grow even larger or simply root it? I have 4 Pereskiopsis cuttings on the way to play with and will still have 4 once I do my first grafts! lol!

I've even seen some pics where people did a number of grafts up the stem instead of as a terminal graft to get the most of their growing space... Wild!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends what species of Pereskiopsis you are looking to use as grafting stock, also if you are going to try and remove the graft to replant and thus re-establish on its own root stock. There are some Hylocereus species which are just as good. I have done some tests, and found them to be either or, not without splitting hairs. Hylocereus are more readily available and you will have less trouble if removing the graft to establish back upon its roots, as you would do for Will... never mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I want to only use the graft as a "pump" to go from seedling to a small Onzuku (sp?) and other weird white Astrophytums then put them back on their own roots. The "stick people" (grafts) don't look too cool but I'm getting rather bored with seedlings (those who sprouted).

Would it be possible to graft something like a Dorstenia onto a Pereskiopsis or are they too different?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dorstenia are frigging cool. I have a fair few species. However, to be honest, I have only every tried grafting it a couple of times and each time I have failed miserably. I'm of the mind that it is far too removed from other species such as those commonly used for speed grafting. However, if something similar could be found, then perhaps it would be possible, but who knows.

Take a note of this though, if you are going to do something that is a globe shaped grower, be very careful if using Pereskiopsis as I have had them snap on me. I use to use it a lot for growing on my lom... but since then, have switched to using Hylocereus which is commonly seen for the more 'showy' grafted cactus. At the end of the day, it's up to you and what you're aiming to do. A word though, careful with the nitrogen content of most fertilzers when using Pereskiopsis as it doesn't seem to give a ****, but when the graft is put back on its own roots, you will see the results... all green growth, but not a root in site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Pereskiopsis cuttings today (rootless). One packet seems to have been frozen all my mesembs and cacti have come willy-nilly for the past month with no problems but I think these are toast. The stems are still turgid so maybe new stock can be grown from these somehow? Perhaps these stems could be laid horizontally and each node along the stem will activate? After they grow a while the small node-stems could be cut apart and grown on to individual Pereskiopsis plants?

Should I use seedling mix and perlite 50/50 for Pereskiopsis or my desert cacti/mesemb mix: "aquatic plant soil" (baked clay bits), pumice/perlite, crushed limestone and a small bit of coir?

The Dorstenia are like a plant from an HP Lovecraft story with those star pods and fat bodies! I'd like to have a huge D. gigas - especially if their seeds and star pods were correspondingly huge... "Yes ma'am killed by a seed. You see they ripen and launch a softball sized seed up to 300 yards at speeds of 50 miles an hour..."

I wasn't able to get Hylocereus to root. I was sent two cuttings and after ? months nothing had happened no roots but no withering. If I didn't know better I'd have swore the guy sent me plastic cast replicas! lol! Is there a key to getting them to root? They would seem sturdier. Are they as fast of a grower as large Trichocereus are supposed to be? I've got 3 dif species about 18" tall and 6" in diameter which could be used as graft stocks later on when they've rooted in their new homes.

When you do a graft does only the grafted plant grow or does the stock also grow?

Can you cut the graft off a store cacti and use the bottom pre-rooted stock?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, if the stems are still good and you see no signs of rot (check really carefully) then you should be able to get new stock from them, so long as it's not getting to cold where you are. If there are any soft bits, cut them out, or chuck the stem. If one goes rotten, chances are, it will spread. Air laying with Pereskiopsis will work pretty well actually. When I've done it in the past, I have just made up my own cacti mix which is normally any generic potting mix with a dump load of grit. I use crushed granite, clay would be good to and I normally add a very fine layer of propagating sand on top. If you want, you can nick the stem at each node, allow to callas up and then lay. In the past, I've always found this to give me better results, especially when using things with larger spaces between each node. Just make sure you leave it to callas up long enough. During winter, I leave my cacti bits to callas, normally for two months, if not more, depending on species and size. If it's still warm where you are, you should see results pretty quickly... leaves within two weeks, I mean lets face it, the species were talking about is pretty much a weed... but then again, that's the idea of it.

In regards to the H.P story, are you talking about ''beyond the mountains of madness?" Damn I love Lovecraft. I'm actually doing my dissertation on his identification of cosmic horror in the essay 'supernatural horror in literature.' Those plants your talking about sound damn cool. I really want to get my hands on some.

Yeah, you can cut a graft off and use the rooting stock, if you like. Some species, however, cannot grow without a host. I'm sure you know the ones I mean, those little fat colourful blobs of yellow, pink and bright red. Essentially, these are parasites and cannot grow there own roots if left on soil. They will simply rot and die. Some stock will grow with the graft, but it depends on the stock and the graft. In some cases, the host will use up everything the host needs to grow, and thus allowing it only enough nutrient to survive. In other cases, they will grow together. Pereskiopsis and Hylocereus are both very rapid growers and so long as the host in not too taking on their supply and store of NPK and sugars, they will grow at the same rate, unless what you are using is a very slow growing plant such as Loms or Aris, in which case, the host will grow at twice the rate, of the attachment. With Pereskiopsis, this can sometimes be a problem, as the stem becomes too long and snaps under the weight of the parasite. If this happens, simply try and root both host and stock together. Don't remove the host, as the shock might end up killing both plants. If you want some more depth to what I've said, I'll ask one of the Bot guys at Uni to send you some info, if you like, or you could join one of the Ethno cacti forums. Those guys are pros when it comes to grafting. I'm sure you know why

Next time you see some of those grafted cacti in a store, knock off a tiny bit of the graft, take it home and practice grafting with it. Pereskiopsis can be a pain in the **** though, because they are normally too thin to have lacky bands put around them. Wedge grafting, or a modified form of node grafting works best in cases such as these. But, then again, I have seen people jab tooth picks straight through the graft and down into the top of the host and have both plants growing well, with no damage. It's pretty funny, watching a plant slowly absorb a toothpick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several pereskopsis a wild weed in my greenhouse but I have never bloomed them. I you want to trade some succulents in about 1 month I can make it worthwhile.
    Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovecraft made fiction accessible to me. I had never liked fiction of any kind, until I found Lovecraft's writing. No other writer I'd read could pull me in like he did and often in so few pages. That's the kind of writing I like, where stuff happens. Then we have William Burroughs where too much is happening and your imagination is threatened with a takeover. That's a style I really dig but most people say it's simply unreadable. lol!

I was just being silly about Dorstenia gigas having huge deadly seeds and pods. The plant gets 8 feet tall or so but I have no idea how big the seeds and pods are. It just would seem a let down if they were the same size as the small species who have large pods compared to their overall size.

Where do the roots emerge from on Pereskiopsis? Do they come out of nodes or only from a cut and callused end tip? Just curious how deep the rootless stem should be planted. 1-2" deep or just the tip in the soil with rocks holding it up?

I like those bizzarely colored Gymnocalyciums it's unforunate they have to be grown as a "parasite" (I love that!). I do have a G. mihanovichii that is on it's own roots and is dark purple with pink highlights and dark green/black stipes. But it isn't neon. What is it they do to them at the shops to make the grafts those bizzare colors? Are they mutated with chemicals or ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast