Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Some cactus blooms of my own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some cactus blooms of my own

I've never had a cactus or succulent bloom before. Many are poking up stalks but finally some have actually opened:

Haworthia cooperii that I rescued from Lowes is showing it's appreciation by sending up 5 flower stalks! Haworthia nectar tastes great BTW!

Haworthia bloom upclose, very much shaped like some orchids I have known. I wish they were bigger!

Obregonia denegrii

Theocactus hexadraephous

I hope you like them! I do!

Edit: I updated the pics since the flowers opened again today so I could get pretty good shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long did you have the H. cooperi, just out of curiosity? I have three that have not yet bloomed and was wondering how long I've got left.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the cooperii about two months ago. It's about 6" under a 96 W daylight spectrum power compact reef lamp the lamps are run on a seasonal schedule. So the plants are getting intense light for 12 hours a day. It was severely in need of repotting and hid on a dark shelf at Lowes, it was pushing itself out of a 3" pot. After I got it home I cleaned all the peat off the roots, trimmed a number of long scraggly roots and put it in a 6" pot. It's now in an almost pure gravel/baked clay mix with a very little coir added for water retention (this dries out in a couple days). I may have watered it two or three times since repotting it in an attempt to re-inflate the fat leaf tips. They are all nice and round again but they were concave and nearly flat when I got it. My other Haworthias have aborted their blooms or they have stalled, cymbiformis, truncata and nigra all have stalks that have not advanced more than an inch or two. Perhaps it's too warm at night (70*F) for their liking? I will put them outside in a few weeks where they can get warm days and cold nights but right now there's still a freak chance of frost. Perhaps if I just set their tray by an opened window at night?