What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowers from two plants…

joossa

Aklys
My Echeveria shaviana began to make two flayer stalks in winter. They didn’t grow much, and now that it's warm, the stalks are pushing up and the flower clusters are flowering. The humming birds like these.

P6040007.jpg

P6040026.jpg

P6040020.jpg

P6110066.jpg

This is an unknown cactus species. It is very tolerant of very cold and hot temperatures... it’s grown outside for the entire year. The flowers lasted around 24 hours.

P6160012.jpg

P6160015.jpg

P6160017.jpg

P6160018.jpg

Very nice cactus and succulent you got there! How did you get it to flower?

Very nice cactus and succulent you got there! How did you get it to flower?

Knowing Joel, he probably sits down with it, stares at it, and yells "Flower!"

And it flowers.

Jason

LOL! i wish i could do that! imagine if you could do that to N. jamban, you'd become rich with all those little seedings :D and of course what other fave plants you have or see :)

LOL. :-)) Yeah right. These two plants flower every year. All I do is water them when they are dry. No magical flowering incantations here. :)

My other Echeveria species and hybrids are in the very early stages of flowering too. I'll post once they do. The flowers of my E. x 'Black Prince' are spectacular (my personal favorite).

Cactus are cool. Reminds me of Mexican pings.

Very cool. Can´t wait to see the others. :) My plaid cactus was in the process of flowering when I left. I wonder if it still has it...It was pink and purple.

Spiffy! Do you ever get seeds? The only thing I have that self's is my Anacampseros.

Pet, to get a cactus to bloom you just let it experience light/temp shifts with the seasons. Being cooler, fewer light hours & dry in winter, some people here in MN just take them off of the porch and put them in a cold dark cellar with no light/water until spring or put them by a cool window for winter if you want to look at them. I keep mine under lights year round and just stop watering in winter with fewer light hours and they go dormant. When the days start to get better light, warmer and/or some water they should start to bloom as they wake up. Some of mine have started blooming and don't stop, they bloom over and over again. I feed mine every watering with Bloom formula orchid fertilizer (3-3-12 or something close to that) which has all the micro nutrients. I guess nitrogen ("grow" formulas) are supposed to be a bad thing to feed your cacti/succulents as it makes them grow big, soft and floppy and susceptible to diseases. Whereas phosphorus supposedly makes them compact, hard and more impervious to infections caused by over watering or pests. So "they" say, so that's what I've been doing.

No, no seed. Although in the not so near future, I will most certainly be looking into making Echeveria hybrids.

cool cacti

wow those cacti are so cool:0o: i wish i had a cactus just like the cactus on the top it is my favorite:hail:

Beautiful Joel! I especially love your photos of Echeveria shaviana. Good stuff!

Thanks Rob!

Here are some more current pictures... some more are sending up flower stalks and some are just looking good.

First up is my favorite plant of all time, Echeveria x 'Black Prince':

P9170045.jpg

Echeveria lilacina. This one had four stalks, so I cut off three to prevent too much stress to the plant:

P9170042.jpg

Echeveria runyonii 'Topsy Turvy':

P9170049.jpg

Echeveria 'Carlsbad':

P9050049.jpg

Echeveria pulvinata:

P7210140.jpg

Aloe squarrosa:

P9170053.jpg

Aloe variegata:

P9170051.jpg

Sempervivum sp. This one still has ash the fell from the wildfire a couple of weeks ago:

P9170055.jpg

Back