Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stapelia hirsuta pictures

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, swords, you seem to have this down to a science.

I don't really do much to mine.

I plant it in a mix of soil from my backyard, vermiculite, perlite, pea gravel, sand, and some orchid bark.

I did grow mine under an umbrella on my back porch that got about 5-6 hours of morning light but very little afternoon sunlight (as of a couple of days ago it is in my new greenhouse and gets diffused light all day).

In the winter I only water them once or twice and during the summer I water them about 1-2 times a week. I usually let them dry out for a few days. For me, they haven't been too picky as to how much water they receive.

I've never fertilized any of my succulents/cacti. I probably should, though.

My temperatures are the same as swords.

Cernunnos Woods
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    I use that same "mineral" mix for all my succulents (mesembs, euphorbs, ascleps a few cacti) cos I've tried growing succulents before and they had always rotted in a peaty mix like that retail "cactus soil" that they sell. Going from extremely dry and tipping over and difficult to rewet, to finally soaked and then staying wet for way too long and then rotting. Apparently it's the higher humidity of my area that keeps peat mixes from drying out and eventually melts my succulents down. Once someone from England (also a cloudy & humid climate) told me about using this sort of mix and it working for him I tried it out and I've been very pleased so far. I couldn't keep a succulent alive for more than a couple months before switching to this.

A lot of people don't fertilize more than once a year or so (grow them "hard") but I like to see how I can push the plants - in their growing seasons only of course. I don't fertilize the dormant plants whether they're dormant in summer or winter. Some will grow steady year round if they don't get too cold (under lights). If you use a bloom formula and not something with a high nitrogen content the new growth with be firm and compact. If you use a balanced or high nitrogen fertilizer they will grow even faster but the new growth with be soft and floppy and they say this makes them more vulnerable to pests and water borne diseases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12