What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Cactus falling apart

I have an Easter cactus that seems to just keep falling apart. I don't think I've over:-( watered it because I let it dry out in between waterings. I walk by it everyday, and more of the stems are on the floor. They seem to just break apart either at the joints or just fall out of the dirt. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Both over watering and under watering causes these types to shed their leaf segments. Generally people over water. Make sure it really is completely dry inbetween waterings. Not just "kinda dry" but actually "the pot doesn't weigh anything" dry, then soak it well again in a pail of good water.

Not enough light maybe? You should describe the other conditions that the cactus is in.
Mine go weeks between waterings sometimes.

If it's shedding stem pieces, you could try to root one in moist media. If it perks up, you then know you may be underwatering. It's a lot safer to err on the dry side, though, so I'd suggest leaving the mother to get bone dry until you have a better idea of what it wants. Sometimes poor light can cause dropped foliage, as well.
~Joe

Thanks everyone, I think that I over watered it, even though I have been careful about it.

Back