Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter blooms and growth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winter blooms and growth

Hi folks, I will start to post here some pics of my winter growing (short days/cool weather) succulents, mostly from the South African region.

Conophytum minimum 'Witterburgenese' (at best guess)

Just after breaking out of their shriveled summer dormancy husks around August when I misted their mummies a bit too heavily.

Today 11-11 in bud. I took this pic incase I miss the blooms I've missed every Lithops bloom so far this year! Note the Cono has been divided and repotted since the image above with no notice taken by the plant other than making even better colors!

Adromischus mariannae 'Little Speheroid' look at that thick crusty wax coating on the old leaves! This guy never changes color as long as the light stays bright. The wax will scratch off so no probing fingers allowed.

Adromischus triflourus I wish the winter purples and silver didn't turn green in summer.
    Anyway, the colored leaves indicate the newest growth.

I hope you like them so far!

I will add more images when I get decent shots of things here and there.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics. Lithops seem fun, but I think I need to get the hang of dry potting mixes before I get started on them. Do you ID your miscellaneous succulents yourself or do you usually know what they are when you get them? I long ago gave up on trying to ID mine... Maybe one day when I have some free time and money for plant books.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe!

Good luck finding succulent books!

Out of the several hundred plant books I've collected I only have three. One is a cheesy DK Houseplant succulent book full of plant-killing information, another is "Growing the Mesembryaceae" from a UK plant book club printed in 1940 and the last one is the latest revision of the genus Andromischus. Proper works on succulents seem notoriously hard to find and wildly expensive when you do!

However, Google and the web is the best thing going for free up to date knowledge on succulents!

I always get ID'd plants whenever possible but sometimes the seller doesn't know or has the wrong name. That Conophytum was sold as "Conophytum minutum" but C. minutum is an all green Cono with no pattern, mine most definitely has a pattern.

Conophytums are mesembs but they do have a pretty different life-cycle than Lithops. These guys are all easy as long as you use rapidly draining mineral soils so they dry up very fast. Most mesembs live off dew and costal fog and no actual rain but a few mm in winter so just mist 'em every day or two IF you wanna feel invoved with them, otherwise leave them alone altogether. You can pour a wee bit of water on them if they look a little shriveled now and then but otherwise hide that water can. I use 50/50 Napa Floor Dry (Shultz APS is a fine substitute but pricier) and turkey grit or pea gravel for weight with a very tiny, tiny bit of peat or coir (less than 10%) blended in just enough to bind the mineral particles and not let it fall out the pots drainage holes. I have no visible peat or coir in the "soil" mixes even on undressed pots but it does the trick to keep the soil up in the pot, they still dry out in 2-3 days if they ever should get doused with water.

As an example of misnaming, the next 5 plants were all sold labeled as "Titanopsis calcarea" at various locations and on ebay. Not one of these are T. calcarea: I still do not have this plant in my collection and I've bought it a number of times!

Titanopsis hugo-schlecterii

Titanopsis primosii

Aloinopsis malherbei amazingly it's putting on new growth and is as happy as can be. I have NEVER watered this plant in almost a year, only misted the leaves wet and its doing awesome. I have watered every other specimen of Aloinopsis and they melted into slime. It's being hugged by a Ceropegia armandii, maybe it just needed the hug?

This I call "Dino tails #1" I have no idea what the genus this or the next plant are in but they look related to me.

Here is Dino Tails #2 I hope it starts to do better this one is looking saggy lately. I may have accientally gotten water on it!

Here we have some real fave weirdos of mine called Pseudolithos who aren't related to Lithops at all. These are actually Asclepiads related to the Stapelias (corpse flower succulents):

Pseudolithos cubiformis becoming squarer with age.

Pseudolithos dodsoniana

Pseudolithos migiurtinus

White-sloanea crassa formerly Pseudolithos crassa

Duvalia elegans I think the shape of this plant looks as if one of my cats made an inelegant gesture in my pot...

Edithicola grandis AKA "Magic Carpet Flower" supposedly the big star-shaped bloom is patterned like a persian rug. I haven't seen one yet. This is one of the few/ (only?) branch forming vertical Stapeliads:

Here's a few Euphorbs:

Euphorbia albopollinifera, a member of the medusoid group

Euphorbia bupleurifolia this tongue-twister looks cool when the trunk gets taller, in like a decade or two...

Euphorbia platyclada the pink stick grows! A year ago it was just pink twig!

Next to the euphorbs is this weird, highly poisonous little thing
    Tylecodon buchholtziana

Neohenricia sibbettii Where's Waldo?

a different waldo upclose

And we'll need to see some succulent flytrap looking things:
    Faucarina tigrina this is the plain form I hate the mutant forms that seem to be popular.

Is this an Agave? whatever it is I like the teeth and the pattern it's ungodly slow to do anything. the latest leaf has taken 6 months to get that far!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are really nice looking! Euphorbia bupleurifolia is always interesting looking enough for me to have to get into the "no, don't buy it because you have enough plants already" cycle in my brain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got plenty of those "Aw, I shouldn't have bought that plant" too. For me it's mainly cacti - I don't really like them all that much - rather dull. About 1/2 my succulents are doubles or even quadruples, since leaves often break off and generate more plants when you pot up the broken leaves.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I've got plenty of those "Aw, I shouldn't have bought that plant" too. For me it's mainly cacti - I don't really like them all that much - rather dull. About 1/2 my succulents are doubles or even quadruples, since leaves often break off and generate more plants when you pot up the broken leaves.
    I know the feeling...the kalanchoe tubiflora is the one that's spreading like wild-fire for me - not just the leaves starting new plants the plain old succulent way, but growing little mini-me's too! For perspective, I have to pick the baby kalanchoe out of the cape sundew pots .

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    One is a cheesy DK Houseplant succulent book full of plant-killing information,
    ROTFL - I think I have that very same book. It's helped me ID a few things, at least.
    I still need to go looking for that NAPA stuff... that's a hell of a deal. Did I send you that E. platyclada? It looks like the same color form as mine, but mine is somehow leggier.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome plants swords! You certainly have some interesting varieties! Thanks for sharing.
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast