What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dorstenia

do you grow this genus ?

a example here a Dorstenia foetida

foetida.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I still have a D. foetida but my other Dorstenias have expired. I guess I kept them too dry. I'm hoping to keep this one alive and grow it large, it has actually shrunk since I got it! LOL

Have you got any tips? I potted it in the same all mineral mix that I use for all succulents (very little peat) and I almost never fertilize the succulents. I rarely remember to water the succulents since bad things happen when they get watered too often (melt or turn to jelly).

Jeff~ I have a Dorstenia Turneraefolia
http://community.webshots.com/album/578442757sdusSm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Swords~ Not all Dorstenia are succulents
There are tropical & subtropical forms that like filtered light & more water then succulents
I can't really comment on D. foetida since I don't have one / Would like one though
But you "Might" try keeping it in a shadier spot & watering a bit more???

I keep my D. turneraefolia in my greenhouse with my Neps
&
Have it on a bottom shelf in the back of the GH were it's basically in the shade most of the time & water it regularly

I've had it for about two years now & take it that it likes the conditions it's in since I got it as a small single stalk {about 1 1/2in. tall} with one tiny leaf & it's really taken off & flowers regurly

DC

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooooh... I want it.
It reminds me of that plant that could shoot out poison needles from the original Star Trek. :D
~Joe

Joe, they do launch their ripe seeds! :D

DC, I will try giving it more water and more it out of the direct blast of T5s and see how that goes. I wanted to get D. gigas and D. lanata but held off with just these few cheaper more common ones to see how I did with them first.

Joe, they do launch their ripe seeds! :D

Seed-launching is one of my favorite plant tactics. <3
Although I think Protea take the cake in that respect - there are some species that spontaneously combust after setting seed in order to clear the brush away for their progeny. o_O
~Joe

Seed-launching is one of my favorite plant tactics. <3
Although I think Protea take the cake in that respect - there are some species that spontaneously combust after setting seed in order to clear the brush away for their progeny. o_O
~Joe

0o REALLY. That is intense, I had not heard of that before.

@ Joe
Gee Thanx
Now I'm Going To Have To Get a Protea Plant So I Can Watch It Spontaneously Combust
LOL

@Swords
Here's some info I found on them / Going to have to get one / I like the odd flowers

Culture: Dorstenia foetida needs bright light or partial to full shade, with warm temperatures and a well-drained soil mix that must not remain soggy for too long. During the growing season, the plants appreciate a fair amount of water but allow the soil to dry slightly between watering, making sure that they never dry out completely. They have to be kept in a rather high air humidity. They are fertilized once during the growing season with a balanced fertilizer diluted to ½ the strength recommended on the label. During the winter months they tend to go at least partially dormant and will exhibit some leaf loss. During this period, they should be given very little water.

HEH mine is probably completely dry 99% of the time - being potted in Napa floor dry, cherrystone turkey grit and a very tiny pinch of peat - just enough to bind it all and keep it from falling out the drainage holes. Guess I should try repotting this in something a bit more moisture retaining and hopefully it'll get some size on it- so far it's been a trooper for at least 2 years in my succulent torture drought but I'd definitely like leaves bigger than 1"!

One of those Proteas would be cool - if I had somewhere fire retardant to grow it! :D

but then there's this...
Funny but that would totally suck. Home owners insurance is always trying to get out of paying benefits - I'll bet plant fires aren't covered! LOL

suite

see here it is my web site on this genus , translate with the google module.

dorstenia

in this genus 2 great country
bresil and africa , the plants are different .

I use just horticol compost , , out door in summer for the africa species , for the bresilian they are in terra with a good air hygromety .

attention with the watering all these species are very very subject to the rot , also between 2 watering let the compost dry .

no problem with the sun to the africa species .

DTHCHEEZ : you are sure for the determination to your turnerifolia ?

have you some seeds available ?

jeff

Back