Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Germinating Mammillaria theresae seed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! This just keeps getting better and better.

Six more hatchlings to report today: three from the new seed batch and 3 more from the 2008 seed batch.

So far now 19 out of 70 seeds have germinated, with the breakdown as follows:

New seed batch (received Jan, 2011) 7 out of 20 germinated

2008 seed batch 8 out of 30 germinated

Four year old seed batch 4 out of 20 germinated.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, when I started this experiment, I was hoping to get some seeds germinated, but I wasn't sure how many would come up, but I thought that if 2 or 3 seeds sprouted, that would be good enough for me.

I had no idea that these seeds would germinate as well as they have.

There were five more seeds sprouted yesterday.

And a closer look at four of those seeds.

Today, two more sprouted, bringing the total up to 26 out of seventy seeds sprouted.

New seed batch... 9 out of 20 seeds germinated

2008 seed batch...12 out of 30 seeds sprouted

4 year old seed batch...5 out of 20 seeds popped

Maybe something of interest, but of the remaining seeds, a majority of them are smaller than the seeds that have already germinated.

This might indicate that the smaller sized seeds are either less viable than the larger seeds, or maybe even completely sterile.

I'll keep this propagation attempt going a few more days longer or until the seeds stop hatching.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 more sprouted seeds to report today.................................................................And the same 6 seeds from a different angle.

Newest seeds...11/20

2008 seeds...16/30

4 yr old seeds...5/20

Total...32/70 seeds sprouted so far

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 02-26-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was nothing to report yesterday, as no seeds had germinated.

So I again changed out the paper towels, as I have been doing every third day since I started this experiment.

Today however, there were two more hatchlings from the 2008 seed batch, bringing the total for that batch up to 18/30 seeds sprouted.

Thus far, 34 out of the 70 seeds have germinated and it looked like at least one more will be on it's way for tomorrow's inspection.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more seed from the 2008 M. theresae batch has germinated, bringing the total for that seed batch up to 19/30 and even more impressive was that this single germinated seed raised the overall germination rate up to 50% with 35 out of the total 70 seeds having sprouted.

The seed batch that I received in Jan. 2011 had 11 of it's 20 seeds germinate and the four year old seed batch only had a 25% germination rate with 5 of it's 20 seeds sprouting.

There may be a few final stragglers that germinate over the next day or two, but barring anything spectacular occuring, this will probably be my last update for this seed sprouting attempt.

It was an eye opening experience for me as I was surprised at the much higher than expected germination rate for these seeds.

If any of you would like to try this method out, you might also be excited with the overall germination success rate experienced with these usually reluctant seeds.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vast majority of these seedlings have developed into little green blobs.

There were a couple of losses, apparently from clumsy fingers damaging fragile roots during the transferring process, but a very high percentage of the sprouted seeds were successfully transferred into their newly potted up homes.

Here is a group of pots with some of those little green M. theresae blobs, with up to two or three seedlings in a pot.

This is the pot from the lower left hand corner of the above photo. There are three seedlings in the pot, but only two of them are visible, with the third fairly well hidden next to the black mass, just left of centre and above the left pictured seedling.

And a couple more seedlings with their party hats still visible, but soon to be discarded completely.

It'll be interesting to see how they are all doing in about six months time from now.

dvg

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, they are adorable! I googled this plant and I cant believe how beautiful the flowers are. You have good taste
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Carnivoure12,

I'm starting to think that these seeds need pure water to wash away the Phenolic chemical compounds that act as inhibiting agents to prevent premature germination.

I asked Steven Brack of Mesa Gardens how he germinates his M. theresae.

He told me that he puts the seeds in pots outside and just waits. It takes many months, he said, and then after a really good rainstorm a few will pop up.

But he also said that he seldom if ever gets any seeds to germinate in their second year of being in the pots.

I was letting my seeds in the paper towels slowly dry out. The sphagnum moss had been removed from the bags.

But I was stil getting germination with the barely damp towels. Yesterday I noticed two seeds that looked like they were splitting, just very slightly.

So I changed out the paper towels again to new ones and transferred the seeds over to the new towels and rewet them, but I didn't add any sphagnum moss to any of the bags.

This morning, much to my surprise, I had four newly spouted seeds, 2 seeds from the 2011 batch, 1 seed from the 2008 seed batch and even 1 seed from the 4 year old batch decided to join the party as well.

So maybe just the changing out of the towels every third day and keeping the seeds damp with distilled water is the key to germination here.

Thus far, the germination rates for the M. theresae seeds has been as follows:

Seed that arrived in 2011 order...14 of 20 sprouted...70%

Seed from 2008 seed batch.......21 of 30 sprouted...70%

Seed from 2007 seed batch........6 of 20 sprouted...30%

Total germ rate overall...............41 of 70 sprouted...58.6%

It looks like another one may be popping tomorrow, so I'll continue trying to coax these seeds on, as long as they continue to cooperate with me.

dvg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast