What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken Lithop

Okay, so I just bought a little pot with three Lithops in it from home depot. I have no experience with them, but I did do some research. All three have new growths coming up, one of them was growing especially tall (nearly 2" above the old growth, twice as tall as the other two). I put in it a new pot, but I was very careful and really just set the old soil in the pot and put new soil around the edges, the plants weren't disturbed and I didn't fuss with their roots, and I did not water it.

So now, the tall one has flopped over at the base, like it's not really connected with the old leaves very well anymore, and there's a kinda mushy area near the bottom. The old leaves are turning kinda brownish. The other two Lithops are still fine.

My main question is, is there any way that I can save the new growth? Is there any way I could root it? Because other than the small area at the base where it looks bruised, it looks really wonderful. If not, should I pull it out of there?

I'm sorry I didn't post a picture, I don't have my digital camera right now. But if it would really help let me know and I'll take one with my phone.

Sorry Quinn what you have are "stacked" Lithops, meaning they have been watered when they were growing their new bodies - this is essentially fatal to these plants. Sometimes they can be reversed if it's not too bad but it will take lots of time and your description is not promising.

Lithops must be left completely dry so their old bodies will shrivel up and all the moisture and nutrients flows into the new body while the old body becomes like a couple of shriveled cornflakes around the shiny firm new body. Once this happens the plant can be watered fully and you'll see it expand and firm up. But it has to be done correctly. Most stores have no idea how to grow the Mesembs (Lithops and relatives) which accounts for them often being stacked at nurseries. If Lithops are not left dry while their new body emerges this stacking and eventually toppling due to strangling the new growth off from the roots is the unfortunate result. The particular plant is now dead so you can toss it out and use the pot for something else. Good luck with your remaining Lithops, try not watering them ever until the older (lower) bodies shrivel up and you may succeed in saving them. Good luck!

Hmm, somehow I knew they were going to be tragic little plants. Thank you for letting me know!

Back