User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cactus/Euphorbia in need of some help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will do fine outside. My aunt lives there in MI and she has hers out with no problems. I keep mine outside until the weather starts getting near 45 degrees then I take it indoors but I still keep it in a cool but sunny location. Just keep an eye on it, if you notice it burning because of the sun just move it to a shadier spot. As it gets use to the sun it will be able to handle longer periods of direct sunlight.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good to know. I've never had this one outside, but I've had E. milii and a few similar euphorbs that did fine even with exposure to brief hail. Certainly changed how I look at the group on a whole. But I usually bring them in before it really starts to cool off much at all, just because I don't want to slip into laziness and then get caught with my pants down. I've lost a more than a few plants to an early frost that way before. :/
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel143 View Post
    It will do fine outside. My aunt lives there in MI and she has hers out with no problems. I keep mine outside until the weather starts getting near 45 degrees then I take it indoors but I still keep it in a cool but sunny location. Just keep an eye on it, if you notice it burning because of the sun just move it to a shadier spot. As it gets use to the sun it will be able to handle longer periods of direct sunlight.
    Sweet. Maybe that big tree will help prevent sunburn a bit--most of the browning happened at the old apartment, where it had no shade at all (because I didn't know plants could sunburn). I don't have much room in the apartment, but I could always get like a parasol or something, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp, I spoke too soon.

It can't support it's own weight on that part of the plant--I think this is some kind of root rot, not some sort of re-potting injury. Does that part of the plant stand any chance, or should I toss it? I was thinking of taking cuttings to culture somehow, and then re-planting cuttings in the same pot.

EDIT: The other side of the plant seems to be crooked, I think I repotted it a little crooked, but it seems to be structurally intact. I'd prefer to leave it alone if possible. I also might add some river rock for more support..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did some reading, I've cut off the rotted portion, and am attempting to re-root that portion of the plant, but the other part, which I re-potted crooked, I am leaving alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: The part that I did the surgery on didn't make it. I've been deliberately neglecting the plant, because these guys usually have problems when over-babied, and when I checked on it this morning, I noticed it smelled rotten and had some mold and was basically completely deflated. So that's not good.

On a more positive note: the other, larger part of the plant is still doing well, or at least, appears to be doing at least as well as it was prior to the repot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and now it has little white dots all over it. -_- Just noticed them this morning, when I get home I'm going to rub the plant down with rubbing alcohol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been away for a while. When you take cuttings let the cutting dry until it callouse's over. Once it dries then you can plant it and it should root. This is what I do with my to stems that are too heavy to support itself or to give some away. As far as the white dots...hmm. Not sure here. Could be milibugs. Try the alcohol. If you could take a picture could help more.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast