What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stapelia flavopurpurea

Yay.... it flowered :banana2:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

...Whoah... :ohno:

Last edited:
neat, it looks like a starfish!

Congrats!

Thats beautiful. I hope my dragonfruit flowers this year:).

S. flavopurpurea definitely has noteworthy flowers and your plant has made a gorgeous flower with more of them to follow from the looks of it.

Because those are part of the Carrion Plant family of succulents and their flowers are supposed to smell like rotting flesh, just curious what fragrance these ones give off.

I have one in the basement that smells like a mouse that has gone bad, whenever it flowers...so i don't imagine that one will smell a whole lot better...but nature has surprises in store ;)

dvg

S. flavopurpurea definitely has noteworthy flowers and your plant has made a gorgeous flower with more of them to follow from the looks of it.

Because those are part of the Carrion Plant family of succulents and their flowers are supposed to smell like rotting flesh, just curious what fragrance these ones give off.

I have one in the basement that smells like a mouse that has gone bad, whenever it flowers...so i don't imagine that one will smell a whole lot better...but nature has surprises in store ;)

dvg
S. flavopurpureais is supposed to be different from most Stapelia, in that it doesn't have an unpleasant smell. In fact it allegedly has a sweet smell which I've seen describes as fermented fruit, honey, beeswax etc. I've not really noticed any smell from mine, but I've not put my nose up real close.

I'd thought i'd read that this one had a different aroma as well, maybe a lemon-like scent, though it's been a while since i've read anything about this particular species.

But what i really remembered most about this species was it's remarkable flowers.

Thanks for sharing those pics with us, Mobile!

dvg

Awesome! I always get my nose right up over the corollas and snort that carrion flower stench just to see... I've always been disappointed. I keep hoping and praying for one that really just bowls me over! :D

S. flavopurpureais is supposed to be different from most Stapelia, in that it doesn't have an unpleasant smell. In fact it allegedly has a sweet smell which I've seen describes as fermented fruit, honey, beeswax etc. I've not really noticed any smell from mine, but I've not put my nose up real close.
The centre has opened a little more and now it has a smell... it smells like honey.

The centre has opened a little more and now it has a smell... it smells like honey.

That's really surprises me. They have such a rep for malodorous fragrances that hearing there is at least one out there that smells pleasant is kind of astounding.

Cool flower, btw.

Last edited:
That is a really awesome flower. Thanks for sharing.

There were a succession of flowers after that one. The plant is on a windowsill at the top of the stairs and there was a pleasant waft every time I passed, for many weeks... definately doesn't deserve the same reputation as the rest of its family ;)

Back