Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Lithops shedding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HA thanks! I just picked most of it up hanging out on cactiguide forum so spend some time reading & asking questions there, those people are walking encyclopedias of succulent knowledge! I only ever found one book on growing the Mesembs, it was an old imported book from the UK printed in the 1950s, I recently sold it on ebay. I don't know why there isn't some new volumes on these plants.

You can repot them anytime, just don't water after re-potting at this time of year. It's ok to re-pot into dry media and leave it that way. You can mist after re-potting to remove dust, etc if you'd like but don't flood the pot. Loose gravelly soil is good so they can move up and down as they see fit. I would add only enough peat or coco-coir to the media so it wouldn't fall out of the pot holes. You could not actually see the amount of peat I added when looking at the media but you could tell it was there simply because the media didn't pour out of the bottom whenever you lifted the pot up. Without a tiny bit of peat the pot levels got lower and lower! LOL
    Last edited by swords; 01-02-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! ... one more thing, should I bury them a little more below grade when re-potting, or just keep them at the same level they're at and let them fix themselves? --again, Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just plant them so they're standing sturdy (maybe 1/4 inch of soil above the root area/base of plant) since store bought Lithops often tend to be standing on their roots and holding their bodies almost out of the mix due to over watering by the shops and also not being able to pull themselves down into dense peat once it does dry out. After potting then I would top dress with coarse cherry stone grit (washed pea gravel is fine) so this often winds up being about 1/2" or so depth - just remember to use a deeper pot and not over water and have super well draining mix since the buried sides can rot if they stay too wet once they are able to "hunker down" in their pots. If you can find some 2.5" x 2.5" x 4" deep seedling pots grab em, they are a bit harder to locate than the standard 2.5" x 2.5" x 2.5" size most succulent starts come in but I found those pretty much perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you yet again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12