Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lithops shedding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking My Lithops shedding

http://i.imgur.com/qt1cE.jpg - Full size

Anybody able to identify this one? No big deal, I just wanted to share this picture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey what do you mean shedding ?
    is that where the divide and the new growth appears. or am i not seeing something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure you do not water your Lithops from now until those outer bodies completely shrivel up otherwise it will keep the old ones full, the plant will "stack" several years bodies together and eventually strangle the plant. If you already know about that then never mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    hey what do you mean shedding ?
    is that where the divide and the new growth appears. or am i not seeing something
    yep that all I meant

Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Be sure you do not water your Lithops from now until those outer bodies completely shrivel up otherwise it will keep the old ones full, the plant will "stack" several years bodies together and eventually strangle the plant. If you already know about that then never mind!
    - I did not know that! Thank you for the info -- I wasn't "scheduled" to water them for another couple weeks anyways... ( I water on the 15th -- usually)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I could help then!

You may not need to water again until maybe March or April - depending on how long it takes to shrivel those old bodies up. Once the outer bodies look like dried autumn leaves you'll be able to tug them off and then give the plant a little bit of water in the soil to "wake up" the roots then in another week or two give a nice deep pot flush. If you feel like you simply must put water on them while waiting for those old bodies to shrivel up use a mister and spray them but not too often. You will often see Lithops in stores with 4 or more puffed up bodies standing tall on one plant, this is bad because it constricts too tightly between the fresh new ones in the crown and the roots and gets too tight, eventually cutting the "head" off from the roots circulation system and eventually it will keel over and that's it.

Lithops and all the other "Mesembs" (basically any succulent with a dandelion or daisy shaped flower) are all quite tricky until you learn their growth and dormancy patterns. Luckily all the different Mesmbs have their own crazy growth patterns to learn about!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome info - thank you so much. So am I correct in assuming the inner leaves will draw the moisture they require from the outer leaves? I really never have a problem over watering so waiting shouldn't b a problem... I routinely (and intentionally) make nearly all of my plants beg for water before I give in -- even in the garden. Thanks for all the advice, truly, thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the new bodies will absorb the moisture and starches from the old bodies until they are withered husks.

When I had a huge mesemb collection I did not water my Lithops until their tops were almost level with the surface of the soil, they will adjust their height out of the soil due to how much water is in them. Yours look completely turgid (full of water and standing far from the soil surface) but it looks like you have peat or bark as your potting mix? They may not be able to be "mobile" in a dense potting medium. It also might be too moisture retentive for them - how quickly does the center of the pot dry out? I used either turface (baked clay bits) or Napa Oil Dry material (baked diatomaceous earth) as my succulent potting medium so that the "soil" dried out completely within 2-3 days after watering. That gave them enough time to absorb water from the moist potting material but dried out fast enough they couldn't suck up so much water they would split open from too much water (which can happen). That makes a real mess when your succulents split open and green goo runs everywhere! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you should write a book, lol ... actually is there a book you'd recommend for me? You’re just blowing me away with each post, and teaching me how much I really didn't know! ...

The soil is a premade cactus mix my local nursery sells.. - do you think I should repot it now, or wait until it dries out and replant? I'm thinking even if the soil were correct, the pot may still be too small for it to be able to mobilize...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast