What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those whom I did not torture with these pics earlier ...

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Well folks, it has happened. We who are orchid enthusiasts are no longer alone in our angst with the plants we love being defaced by marketers dying them unnatural colors.
smiley3441.gif
No, gentle reader, our aesthetic good taste is not the only casulty of marketing. It has now spread like a virulent plague. No longer are orchids dyed hideous shades of blue or other abhorrent colors the only travesties out there to offend our delicate sensibilities. Cacti/succulents have also fallen victim.

The following pictures are not pretty sights. You may wish to send the children out of the room lest they be traumatized. You may also wish to have a plastic bag or trash can by your side in case the sight of these poor abominations makes you ill and you are unable to get to the bathroom in time to vomit.
smiley1070.gif

puke2_zps4fe70e4d.jpg

puke1_zpse3fce570.jpg

They look spray painted...

"hey I have a great idea guys lets dye cactuses so that we can sell them to ten year olds"!:slap: no. This is a terrible idea.
:puke2:

:0o: O man! That is terrible, soon they will be dyeing animals... and cps...they already do it to fish! :censor::puke2::puke::down: :crazy:

:0o: O man! That is terrible, soon they will be dyeing animals... and cps...they already do it to fish! :censor::puke2::puke::down: :crazy:

They dye chicks (as in baby chickens, not young women) over here in the spring.

Those things look like tacky aquarium decor you'd buy from walmart.

They dye chicks (as in baby chickens, not young women) over here in the spring.

Those things look like tacky aquarium decor you'd buy from walmart.

:0o:

God that's awful. Dying animals or plants can't be good for the organism being dyed. There should be some sort of law against stuff like that.

They have made glowing bunnies, monkeys, pigs, rats, mice, cats and even human stem cells in a bunch of different colors. These things are pretty much all useless, but the question is if it actually served a purpose would you guys support it? For example if they made n. bicalcarata with glowing fangs to attract more bugs and junk...:awesome:

Tell me no one is interested in a panda chow chow. :-D
l_91e5c880-831d-11e1-91a1-ffac32400004.jpg

who wouldnt want nepenthes with glowing teeth or peristomes? :p much better than spray painted dog hehe (yeah i know they are dyed not painted)

They have made glowing bunnies, monkeys, pigs, rats, mice, cats and even human stem cells in a bunch of different colors. These things are pretty much all useless, but the question is if it actually served a purpose would you guys support it? For example if they made n. bicalcarata with glowing fangs to attract more bugs and junk...:awesome:
Don't know... GM is not as bad as dyeing something IMO.

Sorry, double post. :-(

Last edited:
Seems like they would make a lot more $ if they actually took the time to alter the genes and make the coloration true :/.

Seems like they would make a lot more $ if they actually took the time to alter the genes and make the coloration true :/.

Paint is cheap.

i really don't see what the big deal is. It's a stupid plant, get over it.. don't buy one if you don't like it. jeez..

Back