What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huernia oculata flower.

H_oculata.jpg

Very cute! Another ascleps fan here even though I've downsized my collection. Going for my second Edithcolea Grandis attempt soon!

Very nice! How's the fragrance?

i didn't really stick my nose to the flower, but from near by, it doesn't smell at all. i'm rather disappointed.. lol

I've never been shocked by the scents of the so-called "carrion flowers", "corpse flowers", etc. None of them smell the way I'd expect / hope. I've had a number of different genus over the years (both succulents and tropical aroids such as Amorphophallus, etc.) and the most I can really say is that they smell (to me) like a new Halloween mask, basically the same scent as freshly cured latex rubber.

I have a few Huernia's and I agree their smell is rather weak.

Some species have an awful smell but I'm thinking it might depend on the growing conditions. Here in intense summer heat and in full sun, S. Hirsuta and S. Gigantea fill the entire balcony with their smell.
This one is my Hirsuta from last summer. Its smell is so strong that many flies are attracted during the day (which helps the CPs a lot)

hirsutaa.jpg

I've never been shocked by the scents of the so-called "carrion flowers", "corpse flowers", etc. None of them smell the way I'd expect / hope. I've had a number of different genus over the years (both succulents and tropical aroids such as Amorphophallus, etc.) and the most I can really say is that they smell (to me) like a new Halloween mask, basically the same scent as freshly cured latex rubber.

Haven't had the opportunity to sniff one myself, but the parents of a friend of mine to whom I bestowed a Dracunculus vulgaris corm told me that the flower reeked. :D

Very nice huernia flower :)

Back