What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a difference a month makes

I planted these succulent pots on May 2.

I'm pleased with the growth so far. We've had a very rainy May and above average rain.

The hens and chicks will stay out this winter.

But the other two pots will have to come inside, because if my IDs are correct, only the sedum in this first pot would be hardy enough for my winter temps.

The hens and chicks are on my deck. My granddaughters are fascinated with them. I hope my garden is reinforcing a love of nature in them.

The last two pots are placed in my rock garden.

Looking real good!

Hens & chicks are pretty bulletproof IMO. Here in New Mexico I leave them outdoors year round and basically never water (maybe two or three times a year). I'm not sure where you live, but most environments are much more fogiving than mine. Just make sure they get lotsa sun. Mine were started about a a year and a half ago from a little tiny hunk I dug up from a buddies yard. Two winters and one good growing season have made it a pretty good size with absolutely no effort on my part.

Here's a few pics. You can tell how little I do anything with them from the amount of crud in the leaves.

DSCN0396.jpg

'Oddity'
DSCN0397.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

Keep in mind these were crappy pics, taken at night from crappy angles. They have quite a bit of purple coloration.

Hens & chicks are pretty bulletproof IMO. Here in New Mexico I leave them outdoors year round and basically never water (maybe two or three times a year). I'm not sure where you live, but most environments are much more fogiving than mine. Just make sure they get lotsa sun. Mine were started about a a year and a half ago from a little tiny hunk I dug up from a buddies yard. Two winters and one good growing season have made it a pretty good size with absolutely no effort on my part.

Here's a few pics. You can tell how little I do anything with them from the amount of crud in the leaves.

DSCN0396.jpg

'Oddity'
DSCN0397.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

Keep in mind these were crappy pics, taken at night from crappy angles. They have quite a bit of purple coloration.

You're from the area of the country where they get the climate they like.

We've had a much wetter and cooler May than we usually do. I've been worried my potted succulents were getting too much water, but no crown rot so far.

How pot bound do you let yours get? I've seen some photos of really crowded pots, and the plants seem to like it, if the size is any judge.

I've seen them get pretty compacted and still look great. They tend to die back a bit in the winter so that migh help with root crowding. I planted mine in a very large pot, so I haven't encountered that problem yet.

Back