Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprise Succulents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are really cute little pots! I'm going to repot them all tomorrow in larger pots. The ones they are in now are just slightly larger than what they came in from lowes (and those are tiny!).

What kind of surgery do I need to do? simply cut away the outer growth? Can I do it when I repot?
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, wait until the outside husk starts to shrivel and then with a sharp and sterile razor knife, slice off the outer broken layers. Should be okay to let the middle two remain. For a while anyway. I've done this before with lithops. Will look weird for a while but if its strong it'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repotted them all today. Man, their roots were tied up in those tiny pots. The argyroderma actually has a pretty decent root system. I'm hoping it will pull through. At the very least it's not getting any more water for a while. The new soil drains much better. They were potted in what seemed like pure peat and perlite. Why they would do that to a desert plant is beyond me. Anyway, here is what they are in now.

I moved them a bit farther back from the window after the pictures were taken. I know they need to be out of direct sun until they reestablish but I needed more light for the photograph.
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the roots are bigger than you would think for such small plants. :O Glad the roots looked okay. It will definitely like those rocks better and appreciate the extra space. Good job separating your lithops/argyroderma.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe it, but I think this plant is coming around. It tried to flower, but the weather was dreadfully overcast when it did. The flower never fully erupted when I was there at least. Now it looks like this.

Not a drop of water has touched it.

Oddly enough my baby toes seems to have died. It looks like it rotted/died from the roots up. I gave it water when the leaves looked shriveled, but nothing seemed to help it. I'm going to get another one (that looks better than this last one did) and try again.
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes they are just gone when you get them- I lost ANOTHER nice faucaria 'sato' for no reason at all. It was inside, in bone-dry succulent media, in low humidity. The bottom has pretty much completely rotted out in less than a month and I didn't do a thing to it. So I am not getting any more faucaria, they seem to be very weak plants. I don't understand how of these small plants survive in the wild. I'm convinced there are no natural colonies at this point. Because if too much sun kills them, water kills them, pests and aminals kill them and humidity kills them, then... Uh, do they live on the moon or something?

Im surprised your Fenstraria died though.
    Last edited by Gigantea; 08-21-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very surprised the Fenestraria died, too. If anything it looked healthier than my poor argyroderma. I'll be sure to add faucaria to my list of plants not to get. If you can't keep it alive, I'm sure I can't! Some of these things are so specialized it's a wonder they survive in captivity at all.
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I should take that back: the only faucarias I have kept alive are ones bought in-store. Every one I have gotten online has died in no time at all. It seems to be the cultivared varieties that are weak; Sato, Japanese, Extra Warty, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast