Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprise Succulents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprise Succulents

While my family was out at Lowes today they noticed some odd plants and bought them for me. I ended up with a Argyroderma spp and Fenestraria aurantiaca according to the labels. I was hoping you guys could tell me a little more about them. I have some Lithops spp and was planning to make a bowl garden much like Brie has. My biggest concern is can these new plants go in that same type of bowl? From what I can gather it seems their care is very much like that of Lithops, but I really didn't find much out there on these guys.

I don't think they look that good and the soils look a little bit too wet, but I don't have much experience with succulents. That window is also normally very sunny, but today is just cloudy.
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi yes, please let those new plants dry out. You're correct in assuming they have been exposed to way too much water. Those scars on the last one indicate it has absorbed so much water it's actually split. And now that a new body (or two) is emerging you must allow those outter leaves to dry up and shrivel away for the health of the plant. So basically don't water that one until those two split outer lobes have dried up to nothing. Just like Lithops if the old bodies are allowed to stay inflated with water they will eventually strangle the plant away from it's own roots so once the new bodies are emerging stop watering until the old bodies have shriveled up completely. Most stores don't know this so that's why you see split succulents and stacked lithops with multiple years lobes on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I figured as much. No water for those two for a while. Hopefully we'll get some sun today to help them dry out. This is one of the reasons I'm weary about buying plants from stores like Lowes.

Some of the Fenestraria "leaves" don't appear to be attached to the substrate. Will they re-root?
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both of those plants... The argyroderma are a little different than the lithops. They still tend to shrivel while not actively growing, so give them a few squirts when they do that. But, yeah, only when they really need it. They will let you know.

The baby toes are easy and pretty cool. Mine tend to spread out for a ways... Don't think they really re-attach to the soil much though. Those are much easier than the Easter eggs. They like some morning sun with bright shade the rest of the day. They do like a bit more water than most other "smalls" and seem to be pretty resilient. Water when they shrivel... They'll resemble toes that have been in the water too long when they need water.

I've had issues with pests in the soil of Lowes plants. Definitely change them as soon as you can. It is fine to wash the soil off of the roots to be extra thorough, just wrap then in a soft rag to dry them before planting in fresh media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be sure to repot them as soon as I can. Don't want any pests!! These guys are near my indoor CPs! I think I'll put the three different genera in different pots until I get a better feel for them. Maybe when I repot in a couple of years they can all go together. What size pots should I use for the argyroderm and baby toes? I have them in little 2.5 inch deep pots right now. I have a TON of terra cotta in the garage that I can use. All shapes and sizes.
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Easter eggs seem to like the 4" terracotta pots. Those are nice because they allow for drainage of water through the pot itself VIA evaporation. The baby toes aren't as picky... I have mine in a general rock garden arrangement with other succulents in a window planter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like that shouldn't be hard to find at all! I'll be sure to pot them up in some better media as soon as I can. Next time I'm at Lowes I'll see what I can find in the way of pots for a rock garden planter. That's why I originally bought the lithops. Do you have pictures of yours?

Seems these other little succulents have also stolen my heart. They don't have prickly parts, and I like that!
    -- Elizabeth

Grow list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argyroderma sp.

Baby toes.

Also... Hate to tell you this but your argyroderma is probably not going to make it. I had one more in my pot at one time... One died. The one that did wasn't even half as badly cracked as yours, nor did it have compressed new growth. But maybe keeping it totally dry will bring it back... Probably also need to go ahead and start performing some surgery to free up the middle to grow.
    Last edited by Gigantea; 07-29-2013 at 07:57 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast