What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indian Frankincense: Boswellia serrata

The tags on these 4 " short pots say that the seeds for these two Boswellia serrata plants were sown back on February 21, 2007.

This plant has a couple of braches poking up from beneath the soil's surface and another starting out atop of this plant's caudal-like base.

The other plant also has a swollen base with a couple of small roots heading down underground,

but is showing very little if any active green growth up above at the moment.

However, once the plants were unpotted, I was surprised to see the root systems these plants were quietly growing in their small pots.

These plants can be propagated from tubers that they produce underground - there is a small tuber in the bottom left corner of the photo below.

This tuberous root system grew to the bottom of its pot and then began to branch out.

Now when I repot them, I can take advantage of the thickened roots by raising a good portion of the root above the soil level and allowing it to convert into a fully functioning trunk.

If any one is interested in growing any of the 19 Boswellia species, I would highly recommend getting a copy of Jason Eslamieh's Cultivation of Boswellia to help with the differing in culture needs of each species.

dvg

Last edited:
Nice plants. From my experience with arid plants it seems like they're growing fairly slowly and the leaves are showing deficiency symptoms. I think the problem could be that the lava rock media, while coarse enough for drainage, may not have enough CEC to hold a lot of fertility--in other words, the food is not being retained by the media and is leaching out before the plant can get it. I think a dilute feeding with every watering, especially with a bit of limestone, would jumpstart them. Or, since you plan to repot them, try mixing in some sand or anything with a smaller particle size than those lava rocks. Good luck with them though!!

Thanks for the tips Theplantman.

Of course you're right, especially with the fertilizing - something that these plants haven't seen too much of.

I've been informed by some knowledgeable growers that these plants don't appear to be B. serrata or even a Boswellia species.

So for now these are an unidentified pachycaul tree species of some kind.

dvg

Back