Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aloe help

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aloe help

Last year, I found this aloe "starfire".
    I love the color of this plant, but it
    Looks exactly the same as the day
    I bought it. It hasnt grown at all. Anyone have
    Any suggestions on how to finally get this one growing?

Humididty 40%
    Light 15-18 hours daily
    Temps 70-80
    Watering like a cactus.

Last edited by NemJones; 11-22-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it getting night-time cooling? Succulents tend to grow best at HL Nep conditions 70-80*F days and 50*f nights, minus the humidity and heavy watering. Don't forget to fertilize it too, use bloom formula with low nitrogen levels (the "N" from NPK) because a lot of Nitrogen makes succulents leggy and weak.

Edit:
    Now that I see a pic I think there's something wrong with your plant. The leaves should unfurl and not remain curled like that. Either it's not getting enough water to expand fully or it's got some sort of virus or pest, it should not look that way.
    Last edited by swords; 11-22-2014 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Is it getting night-time cooling? Succulents tend to grow best at HL Nep conditions 70-80*F days and 50*f nights, minus the humidity and heavy watering. Don't forget to fertilize it too, use bloom formula with low nitrogen levels (the "N" from NPK) because a lot of Nitrogen makes succulents leggy and weak.
    I grow these on my cacti shelf. THe house generally has a slight temp drop at night, (not sure if thats sufficient) and I will occasionally use "Grow more cactus juice" 1 7 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I see a pic I think there's something wrong with your plant. The leaves should unfurl and not remain curled like that. Either it's not getting enough water to expand fully or it's got some sort of virus or pest, it should not look that way.

It is possible it has root mealies. Try uprooting it and checking for white cottony puffs below the soil surface. At this point uprooting to check is not gonna set the plant back any.
    Last edited by swords; 11-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is possible it has root mealies. Try uprooting it and checking for white cottony puffs below the soil surface. At this point uprooting to check is not gonna set the plant back any.
    Thanks swords, ill try that. I have a creeping feeling that its also a water issue. I only water
    My cacti about once or twice a month. Could the pot size also be a problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it's doubtful the problem is pot size but anything is possible.

I would not water my succulents more than one or twice a month, depending on temps and how fast the pot goes totally dry. Be sure you are using very pure water when watering succulents because if you use water with sodium or minerals in it and the roots dry out completely as they should, any minerals in it will crystallize over the roots and then the plant will not be able to absorb water from the roots, no matter how much you dump on it. And you can't cheat by keeping them moist because they will just melt down.

If you want to increase watering without risking over-watering at the roots and having the plant turn into a pile of green slime, mist it with distilled, R/O or rainwater. It will absorb what it needs from the leaves and the rest will safely evaporate. You can do that every day until it fills out. Be sure to do it in the beginning of the day so it has time to evaporate and doesn't sit wet all night.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say it's doubtful the problem is pot size but anything is possible.

I would not water my succulents more than one or twice a month, depending on temps and how fast the pot goes totally dry. Be sure you are using very pure water when watering succulents because if you use water with sodium or minerals in it and the roots dry out completely as they should, any minerals in it will crystallize over the roots and then the plant will not be able to absorb water from the roots, no matter how much you dump on it. And you can't cheat by keeping them moist because they will just melt down.

If you want to increase watering without risking over-watering at the roots and having the plant turn into a pile of green slime, mist it with distilled, R/O or rainwater. It will absorb what it needs from the leaves and the rest will safely evaporate. You can do that every day until it fills out. Be sure to do it in the beginning of the day so it has time to evaporate and doesn't sit wet all night.
    Im definately going to try this to see if it will help. I heard that winter watering is a bit more
    Edgy and should be taken with care because aloes undergo a slight dormancy. Is this true?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, all cacti & succulents have dormancies at some time of the year since they only come from temperate areas with seasons. In growth periods I would water every 2 weeks and once a month when they are in dormancy. Sometimes not at all on things like Conophytums until they break dormancy.

You'll need to find out which season Aloes are dormant in - find out where yours is from.

I grew African succulent species mostly (mesembs, aslepiads, stapeliads and andromischius). Some succulents are dormant in our summers and some are dormant in our winters. It depends where they are from.

African species are going into their growing season now (during our winters) and the American species should be in dormancy now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast