Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lithops in Bloom

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of trivia: Aizoaceae blooms have such vivid colors as a whole because, rather than having anthocyanin pigments, they rely instead on betalains.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kevin is there any chance for a Lithops that rotted a bit at the bottom losing the roots? The plant actually looks ok otherwise. I treated with a rooting hormone and figure to treat it like an Epiphyllum cutting.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but it depends how far up into the vascular system the pathogen traveled. If it got to the meristem (it's very tiny, center of the plant) you're screwed. I have saved ~2 before. Otherwise, I like Dip N Grow, not for any rooting potential whatsoever, but because the solvent is ethanol, which is a great sterilant. First step is getting it sterile, then just leave it completely dry and see what happens. I like to blot off every last iota of water before I bury the plant, even in dry media.
    Last edited by theplantman; 10-22-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Yes, but it depends how far up into the vascular system the pathogen traveled. If it got to the meristem (it's very tiny, center of the plant) you're screwed. I have saved ~2 before. Otherwise, I like Dip N Grow, not for any rooting potential whatsoever, but because the solvent is ethanol, which is a great sterilant. First step is getting it sterile, then just leave it completely dry and see what happens. I like to blot off every last iota of water before I bury the plant, even in dry media.
    Ok thanks for the hope and info!
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both flowers, plus a preview of more to come:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lithops in Bloom-img_20151022_161929-jpg  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! It's always a tough call on Lithops, but I would tentatively guesstimate the one to the lower left being L. karasmontana.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Beautiful! It's always a tough call on Lithops, but I would tentatively guesstimate the one to the lower left being L. karasmontana.
    Again, thank you sir!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got my very first Lithops today! Unfortunately it's not in bloom, but hopefully it will be soon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast