Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lithops in Bloom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFLguy View Post

I just got my very first Lithops today! Unfortunately it's not in bloom, but hopefully it will be soon
    Just keep an eye on the slit down the middle. It seems to be starting to open, so watch for the flower bud emerging.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    Just keep an eye on the slit down the middle. It seems to be starting to open, so watch for the flower bud emerging.
    Cool! I hope so

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFLguy View Post

I just got my very first Lithops today! Unfortunately it's not in bloom, but hopefully it will be soon
    Gorgeous! I would get it immediately out of that peaty media and into a coarse mesemb mix. Wash every bit of the organic matter off the roots and everything.

Sand, perlite, permatill, turface, and crushed gravel are all good things to blend into a suitable mix. That peat mix will murder it quicker than anything you could ever do to it.
    Last edited by theplantman; 10-23-2015 at 08:14 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Gorgeous! I would get it immediately out of that peaty media and into a coarse mesemb mix. Wash every bit of the organic matter off the roots and everything.

Sand, perlite, permatill, turface, and crushed gravel are all good things to blend into a suitable mix. That peat mix will murder it quicker than anything you could ever do to it.

Repotted it into an all mineral ping mix I happened to have on handy, I got most of the peat off but there was a little bit that was just too deep in there. I'm hoping this ping mix isn't too fine. How often do you think I should water it? How will I be able to tell if it's getting ready to flower or to go dormant?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perfect!! And to answer your questions:
    (1) Water exclusively with a spray bottle. I'd leave the mix to dry for at least a week before even thinking of adding a single drop to that plant. Then, watch when it wrinkles, maybe once every 3-4 weeks. That's when you spritz it. There are a lot of good mesemb guides on the internet but I don't have time to find em right this minute. I'll try to come back later.
    (2) Everything Lithops do, they do slowly. By the time it flowers you will have had a month to see it coming. Trust me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theplantman View Post
    Perfect!! And to answer your questions:
    (1) Water exclusively with a spray bottle. I'd leave the mix to dry for at least a week before even thinking of adding a single drop to that plant. Then, watch when it wrinkles, maybe once every 3-4 weeks. That's when you spritz it. There are a lot of good mesemb guides on the internet but I don't have time to find em right this minute. I'll try to come back later.
    (2) Everything Lithops do, they do slowly. By the time it flowers you will have had a month to see it coming. Trust me.
    I'll check a few of them out. By spritz, should I spritz it until water comes out the bottom or just enough to wet the top of the mix (or something in between)?
    Thanks for all the help already!

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, if learning more about growing mesembs is of great interest to you, I would suggest you look for books and articles by Steve Hammer -- considered by many to be THE authority on these lil gems. While I have not read it myself, I have heard some great reviews of his book "The Art of Growing Mesembs" by folks I know.

"Blessed are the crackedÖ.
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    John, if learning more about growing mesembs is of great interest to you, I would suggest you look for books and articles by Steve Hammer -- considered by many to be THE authority on these lil gems. While I have not read it myself, I have heard some great reviews of his book "The Art of Growing Mesembs" by folks I know.

If you are growing mesembs, the art of growing mesembs is a PHENOMENAL resource. Here is a link to it, where it can be read for free. MickaŽl Legrand
    Another great resource is "the new growing mesembs" by Ed storms. That volume is especially valuable for its many gorgeous and informative color photos of almost every genus
    Last edited by cwatson1414; 10-28-2015 at 09:52 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123