What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon fruit

Does anybody here grow Dragon Fruit (Hylocereus undatus). I saw one of these huge cactuses for myself the other day, the fruit is simply amazing! I have got to have one of these. Anyone know where I can find seeds of this? Here's a pic of the cool fruit:

dragonfruit.jpg

www-vn2002-dragon-fruit.jpg

dragon2.gif

Yes, I have these, they are my favourite cactuses, I have grew those from seeds.
smile.gif

They sell these fruits in foodstores, buy one and take seeds from the fruit. They will germinate fine.
wink.gif

Cool! How old do they have to be before they start producing the fruits?

hmm, no idea, very old I think..

weird that you mention about this since i ate this fruit yesterday , called it dragon fruit and my realtive actually thought the other way , lol . i've never grown them from seed but i hear it takes a while to grow . my grandfathers plants are absolutly huge and he says he trims them so much that he could use the trimming as cuttings to make more plants . i would be willing to trade some decent sized cuttings if any body is interested and i also have a different species that makes round fruit with no leves sticking out of it . this year there were tons of flowers and fruit and the biggest i've seen so far was 1/2 the size of a football and the flowers are bright yellow and bloom at night . the fruits i see from the store are pirckly pear and its sour a bit , i prefer pitahayas .

so if anybody wants to trade for cuttings then pm me
smile.gif

Just received some seeds of the red fleshed variety yesterday. If they fail to germinate, I'll take you up on your cuttings offer
smile.gif

Back