What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy hoya cutting...

Hey guys, a while back i was sent a cutting of a hoya to root. I wasn't exactly sure what to do with it, so I stuck one end into some soil, and coiled the piece once around a cereus, figuring if it hung over the edge of the pot, something or someone would pull it out. Well, it seems the other end of the cutting was in contact with the top of the soil, so it sent out roots as well.

My question, what now? It looks quite healthy to me, just doesn't seem like it's growing much. Any ideas what this would do to a plant? Think I should just cut it in half and have two rooted cuttings at this point?
confused.gif

lol , i've done this before , on purpose actually to see what would happen , well nothing much happened , the growth was sloewr but it made lots of new growths and flowered better then my regualr hoyas , you can leave it like that if you want but if you find it unattractive or anyother reason that you can cut in the middle of the vine , make sure not to cut the part where the flowers come out or you can get rid of the roots on one side . by the way , hoyas don't climb so no much is gonna happen and also they bloom better if there roots are bound .

Well, I definately haven't noticed much growth at all except that the color looks much healthier and the leaves look really good. I may have to repot it at some point, it's kind of the roomate of a night blooming cereus, which i'm not sure if it's the right media, but it's doing right.
tounge.gif
I just don't want to end up having to hack away at the roots to seperate the plants.

Hmm, does it ever grow branches?
confused.gif
Hmmm, I should just put it in a pot, loop it around some wood and fill in the empty spaces with tillandsia.
wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vertigo @ Aug. 27 2003,11:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Think I should just cut it in half and have two rooted cuttings at this point?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That should work.
smile.gif

anyone have a picture of this plant??

Hoyas DO climb (well most spp do). they are not self clinging, so tend to twine around other plants or scramble. I have them trauned around my lounge window, several feet of vine, which I have to prune regularly.

Back