Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NICE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SWEET!!! A forum I've been waiting for!

I love cacti and succulants, though I have been having trouble with my succulants recently. They are growing tall, upward, they are almost getting leggy. Why is that? The bottom leaves are drying up, and either turning yellow or pink.

This guy I buy the succulants from says to repot them, by removing the bottom dead leaves and them pluck them into the soil. Now, he sells his plants in potting soil, but shouldn't they be in either dessert sand or a mix of peat and sand? I haven't had much luck repotting these guys, does anyone have suggestions?

Oh yeah... and watering? how often? how much? top or bottom? I think I am doing something wrong!

Thanx! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tall and leggy sounds like not enough light. As far as watering goes, you need to let them dry out before rewatering. Also a well drained soil (lots of sand)should be used so they don't stay wet for prolonged periods. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I water maybe once a week, or every week and a half. It gets about 14 hours of light a day, and about 4-5 are direct sunshine. The soil is a different thing... I am not positive about the soil they are planted in, but when I do water them, the water runs right through the soil, and out the bottom. Is that bad? Should I plant them strictly in sand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cactus can take direct sunlight all day.
    Oh, so this is how you make a signature.

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Meagan,

I hope you're not watering on a schedule? Assuming your succulents are just the regular old generic plants commonly found in shops (as opposed to the epiphytes), here is what I know: cacti and succulents can take underwatering much better than overwatering, but people often assume that the soil medium needs to be dry for a long period until they water again. This is not so--you should let the medium dry out for a short period and then water thoroughly from the top, still making sure not to overwater (BTW, watering a plant heavily just once is not overwatering--it's watering too frequently over a long period that causes the dreaded root-rot). So, I am not saying that you are underwatering--you may actually be overwatering.

And light: people sometimes think that with cacti/succulents, the more sun, the better. Not necessarily. Epiphytic varieties may require a fair amount of shade (not to mention a medium kept wetter), and even your usual garden-variety species need protection from intense heat present in a very sunny location--and chlorophyll-free grafted plants require some shade.

Soil: you can find bags of soil specifically designed for cacti/succulents at places like Home Depot and Lowes, and garden centers.

Good luck!

Chris
    Chris Roy
    Eastern Massachusetts, United States

I have only made this letter rather long because I have not had time to make it shorter. - Blaise Pascal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Dionaea Enthusiast @ Aug. 05 2002,10:21)
    Soil: you can find bags of soil specifically designed for cacti/succulents at places like Home Depot and Lowes, and garden centers.[/QUOTE]
    Careful with this... it has fair drainage but it can retain a lot of moisture. I lost a couple of lithops using it.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Chris.

Let me see if I have this right... when watering, use more water, a thorough watering, but water the plant less frequently? When watering, should I put the plant in the sink and water it until the water comes out from the bottom of the pot?

Is everyday potting soil not good?

Marshfield, MA (US) USDA zone 6 cold-temperate coastal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dyflam, yeah...lithops are about as succulent as succulents get [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img], so they DO require a more aerated mix that retains less water.

Meagan, everyday potting soil is not good. But yes, that IS how I water most of my cacti/succulents; it seems to work pretty well. Important thing is that you remove the water that drains into the saucer--do not let them sit in water.
    Chris Roy
    Eastern Massachusetts, United States

I have only made this letter rather long because I have not had time to make it shorter. - Blaise Pascal

9. Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast