What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caudiciform  Species

Anyone grow fat stem plants?

Pachypodium, Adenium, Euphorbia, Cissus, Pelaragonium,
Moringa, Anacampseros......like that. Others?

I grow Adenium obesum outdoors year-round in my area. I had the plant since last year when it had a 2in caudex(6in now).

You have to try some of the Pachypodium species which are closely related to Adenium! The caudex formers have nearly as much "personality" as CP. One of my favorites is P. brevicule, but all the species have a lot of character. I grew these plants in the years I did not have conditions to maintain a CP collection, and like your Adenium they just keep getting better over the years.

Sounds like you are a real plant fanatic. I love fanatics!

Hi Tamlin,

I grow some species. I.e. Pachypodium lamerei, Cissus juttae, Testudinaria elephantipes, Rechsteinia leucotricha, Sorcocaulon herrei, Cyphostemma laza, Adenia glauca, Euphorbia stellata, Pterodiscus speciosus and some other succulent plants.

Cheers Joachim

Joachim,

That is a very fine collection you have there (why am I not surprised? :) I especially admire your Sorcocaulon herrei, I never had any of this genus as they are quite pricey here. They are very beautiful, especially when flowering! My P. lamerei comes up to my throat when I stand next to it, and my Alluadia procerea is taller than I am :) Right now the summer dormant plants are waking up: Pachycormus discolor, Bursera fragaroides, Cissus and Cyphostema juttae are all growing, while the Fockea species are losing their leaves. My pride and joy is Euphorbia francoisii (I know I spelled that wrong) was grown from seed, and is just such a strange plant!!! I really like the Madagascarien dwarf euphorbia very much. I wish I had the space (and money!) to be able to explore these plants more, they are very appealing!

i had one(don't know the name ) but it was a vine
i am planing to get some more seed this winter to plant
tamlin do you grow yours from seed
LMK
Oliver

Enoc22,

I only grew the Euphorbia francoisii from seed. I do know that the caudex formers need to be grown from seed and not from cuttings in order to form the fat bases, otherwise you end up with just a rooted branch.

I grow fockea edulis, discorea elephantipes, adenium obesum, frankincense tree, and cyphostemma juttae. These are a lot of fun to grow. With minimal care, they grow slowly but surely, and after many years they look really cool.
Rubra

Hi Tamlin,

the flowers of the plant I grow as Sarcocaoulon herrei were small ond not that impressive. Of course the plant already looks intresting without flowers:

Sarcocaulon_B.jpg

Sarcocaulon_A.jpg

Ah, and look what Cacti I got by mail today:

Selenicereus.jpg
smile.gif

Thinking of the space I've left for new plants I better should stop looking for strange plants on Ebay....

Cheers Joachim

That Sarcocaoulon herrei is drop dead gorgeous! Now you are giving me the fever! I grow the Selenicerus as well, but it has never flowered. It is probably needs a good uninterupted dark period to set buds.

Rubrarubra,

Of the ones you have listed I really like Fockea edulis (except I blush whenever I tell people the name of my plant! I always get raised eyebrows!) and the Discorea is a plant I have longed for as well!

Please post more photos <drool>!

Hi Tamlin,

FYI: it took some months, but now the S. herrei has flowered:

Sarcocaulon_herrei_050104.jpg

Cheers Joachim

I just have to grow this plant, it's a shame they are so expensive here. Thanks for sharing the photo!

I grow the euphorbia known as "african milk tree".

"Milk Tree" is quite an odd plant. Mine has a trunk about 5 inches in diameter. I like the plant, even though it isn't a caudex former. I have a real soft spot for any Euphorbia species I guess.

Back