What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lithops identification

I recently got interested in rock cactus and found a lithops and other rock cactus at a local plant store. The lithops isn't labeled so I can't identify it. (the brown on the right.)
IMG_1824.JPG

thanks
Matt

My guess is Lithops lesliei v. hornii - but like I said, it's only a guess
smile.gif

Merlin

Great site.
biggrin.gif
Looking at all the variation within a species, I've gotta wonder if there isn't a bunch of lithops botanists having fun with the rest of us.
tounge.gif

If it's a species, aucampiae is as good a guess as any. But, lithops in cultivation can't really be identified, given hybridization, and variation within species. Flower color would be important to identification too, you'll have to wait a bit to find that out. Personally, I'd never claim to know what any of them are unless I trust the source, and it was labeled.

Anyways, unless you've been told it's a species, and it matches the description, it could be anything. There are a near-infinite amount of lithops hybrids, they all seem to hybridize with each other, and species are variable as well.

I think they need to seriously overhaul the taxonomy of Lithops at some point. There are too many species with small variations, known only from a couple locations.

I would say the tan on the right is a mesembryanthemum.

Joe

Aww...that looks nice. I HAD all those same plants...until Ollie 1) knocked the pot over destroying some and messing up the pot...I repaired it as best I could 2) got into again and dug everything up. Only 2 plants were rescued..can't find any of the others. So now I have to start all over again.
smile_h_32.gif

Back