What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My nifty new lithops collection

livingstones.jpg

Hope PAK doesn't mind me linking her original photo.

I got this collection of lithops (and one that's not, i know) in the auction, and am very impressed with how colorful they are, and suprised at how tiny they are (i didn't know that 1-1/2" terra-cotta pots existed!). Lest i kill these wonders, can someone please help me with the following questions?

* As mentioned, they're in very small pots. Do they develop extensive root systems like i believe some cacti do, and thus need to be up-potted?

* They are in what looks like regular potting soil, with a coarse sand top-dressing. Is that okay? If i repot, should a use pure silica sand, or include some potting soil?

* Can i put them right out in full sun?

* Can they tolerate <50* weather (in summer, or even just winter)? Do they like heat or is room temperature better?

* Can the other critter (forget the name, but i have it written down) be treated the same as the lithops?

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for anyone who can enlighten me in this new world of lithops cultivation!

Hey nice collection,
No they don't need to be repotted
They like very free draining soil, I would avoid prepackage mixes, they are too damp usually.
Yes, bring on the sun.
They can tolerate extreme heat. If you mean 50C. I don't know Celsius. Roomtemp winters and dry. While hot in summer saturate and let go bone dry before watering again.
Yes pretty much.

Just let them be and water when they start to wrinkle. In winter roomtemp is good and a light misting once a month is about all they need. Well and light of course.

Joe

I would advise against overpotting which will result in the larger pot staying moist for longer periods. Any moisture you give the plants should be gone by days end in any case, these plants are extremely dry growers, more so than cacti. I grew my plants for years without watering at all. Use extreme care in any watering.

I got the same collection as you did, thanks to PAK for a nice birthday present! The coarse sand is a real plus. Keep the plant buried to the top if this if possible. About the only thing that will off these plants is rotting from overwatering. If the pots do get wet, I remove the plant and root ball from the pots until they dry out.

Thanks for the information. I actually was asking about the low temps they can tolerate- i'd like to put them outside on the deck, but it gets chilly even in summer. Most of the sand has gotten lost, but i'll fill them up with the sand that i have. So they never need a bigger pot?

No they shouldn't need a bigger pot. I wouldn't go any lower than 50s at night. They are more of an arid plant.

Joe

If the mix they are growing in is working, don't change it...

A good tip for watering is the darker the days, the less water needed. During the winter, only water if they get super "wrinkly", which shouldn't happen at the desired room temperature winter with a shorter photoperiod. I don't see any harm in the 50*F winter, but low summer temps are a big no-no. For watering in the summer, generally water about once every 2 weeks to a month. If the plants are "mushy" to the feel, they are too wet, if they start to show wrinkling, they are too dry. The other "critter" appears to be a mesemb or one other type who's name escapes me. It should be ok with the same conditions.

Dos pennieos.

~Lithopsman~

BTW, that was myself and not Valerie that posted above. Hmmmph. Glad she has her coomputer back!

The other plnt is a Pleispelios. I hope I spelled it right. These are all African daisys as are all the Mesemb's. Very cool irridescent flowers. I really am not sure about the temps, but Africa isn't all hot and steamy so I think they might surprise you in regards to how low they can go.

Back