User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to best treat my new jade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought some LOVELY new houseplants yesterday that I want to keep looking stunnning so I am going to be asking your experts...first off, my Jade.

He is so cute--about 6" tall and in good health. He is currently on an east facing window somewhat shaded by a rose bush outside. How should it be watered and is that an OK location? Any tips appreciated.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jade like full - bright indirect light. Water when the soil is totally dry and fertilize with weak fertilizer or dilute regular to 1/8 strength. Too much will cause it to split and/or die. They are an easy plant to care for.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep mine with the Sarracenia for the winter: cold and dry just above freezing. Without good light (as in winter) the plants tend to etiolate, so cold and dry is best. Don't water at all in the winter months even if you can't provide the cold unless the plant is obviously desperate for water. The idea is to force it to use the water stored in the lowermost leaves on the branches while discouraging the production of new leaves from the meristems.
    "Grow More, Share More"

I currently have it in a bathroom window that faces East--the sun is VERY BRIGHT and direct from morning til noon (I am on the West Coast). Does it need another window area---say, North facing--and if so, what is a good plant that can handle east light? I am really only worried about the summer as I am in Portland and in a couple of months, the sun isn't bad for months!