User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What exactly are pleiospilos?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to get some pleiospilos seedlings and I don't know what they are. Are they lithops? I've seen pics (from google search) and some of the results look like lithops and others look like another type of plant and yet others look like two leaves against the ground and then two bump things.
    Do I treat them lilke lithops?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are basically a Mesembryanthemacium.

Mesemb/Pleios

Good place for basic info.
    BTW thank the splitters for seperating them.
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got them today! 3 little seedlings [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    darn it! I don't have a true lithops yet!
    I WOULD split them... they look very different!
    I wish I knew what the species was though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pleiospilos nelii (Split Rock) is the most common species in the trade, so this would be the most likely.

There are some very interesting and unique plants in this large family. These plants are all in the daisy family. Although the forms are interesting, the flowers can be breathtaking, like daisys with a metallic sheen.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Pleiospilos are currently and conservatively considered to be members of the mesembryanthema. These are but two of four sub-tribes of the Aizoaceae plant Family. However, some not so conservative experts, still consider the mesembrbyanthema (mesembs) should have their own family the Mesembryanthemaceae. Research presently underway may prove who is correct. Mesembs are considered to be the most rapidly evolving group of plants anywhere in the world. They have a truly amazing variety of morphologies (growth forms) and survival strategies.
    They are not members of the Asteraceae family (daisies) although some flowers are superficially similar to some daisie flowers.
    The Aizoaceae are members of the plant order Caryophyllales This highly adventurous order (in an evolutionary sence) includes the amazing Nepenthaceae and Droseraceae among many others.
    Reagrds Didge Rowe. <http://mvtpages.nl/TheMesembs/>