What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pachyveria "little jewel" unexpected rooting

Hi, my Pachyveria "Little Jewel" lost a leaf somehow and now there are little pink roots shooting out of the hole that the leaf left behind. So now I've got these little roots heading towards nowhere and I was wondering what to do with it. I'd really like it to root so I could have a baby pachyveria but I don't see how. Unless I chopped the whole stem in half. I'd like to refrain from that. It's really weird because I've tried to propagate this plant through leaf cuttings many times but it never worked. Until now when I didn't want it too. Anyway...anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Ok, Is it the leaf segment that has roots or the stock plant? If its the leaf then just gently bury the rooting end 1/2"-1" in the soil. If it is the stock then just push some dirt up against the rotts so they are burried. mound it up so they are covered. I don't know what Pachyveria is unless a hybrid of Escheveria X Pachypodium. If it is a difficult rooter then I would suggest leaving it in the same pot as the mother until totally established on its own. It sounds dumb but it seems to work better when cuts root next to the mother in the same soil.

Joe

Well it's growing right out of the stock of the plant and there's no way I can mound up the soil so that it's in the ground it's like 2 inches high and the roots are actually stretched over the side of the pot so that's why I don't know what to do. I wish I could just break the roots off and stick them into the ground then it would grow. But I don't think that would happen.

If you really want this to happen, heres what you do.

You need a tube like a TP(toilet paper) tube or something similar in size.

1) Slide the tube up the roots so that the roots are in the tube.

2) Position the tube so that it is stands or slopes to the soil.

3) Fill in the tube with soil around the roots.

After a few months the roots should have made it to the soil line and below. Now after that has happenned, you can cut away the tube and the exposed root should be fine so long as it extends into the soil.

Joe

Wow, that's a good idea. But, won't the roots grow down that way on their own?

The sooner they hit soil the better, thats why you bring it to them. Tropical cactus can sustain with aerial roots and high humidity but not desert cactus.

Joe

Back