Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Astrophytum myriostigma?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 29 2005,1:11)]At our Home Depot, there are bazillions of succulent varieties. So it sounds as if you have been dealt with the old, "Do as I say, not as I do" double standard. I am sorry (and serious for once!)
    Hmm... I actually don't really know what you mean by that... This is my first time with any succulent-type plant, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can....

Seriously, the only place I found any REALLY good chinese food is NYC/Long Island, and Canada. Toronto, in fact. There's a big Cantonese population up there, and the food at the restaurants is really good! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral, or fattening. ~Pardo.

\"I think we should always make certain we have chocolate. One never knows when it might be necessary.\"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used ideomayic expressions. Sorry. From what you described earlier, it appears that your mom is doing what she is not allowing you to do and it may be confusing or hurtful to you. Either that, or we've got a language barrier thing going on and I am incredibly wrong.

I totally agree about the Chinese food. I guess I had it good when I lived in NYC and on Long Island. We visited Toronto once, and I almost coaxed my wife into some Chinese food in their Chinatown, but.... I'm in the mood for some Lobster Cantonese. How about you?

Ahe yes, the topic at hand.... I would be Steve's (any Steve - it doesn't matter) bottom dollar, that there should be some good books in the gardening section of Borders Bookstore and/or Barnes & Noble, to go along with the discussions provided on this forum, which is being provided by CactusChris. *whatever happened to CactusDoug?*

So, you are part British... do you feel "gutted" about all this spiny cactus stuff? I am learning how to speak British English.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lobster rocks, no matter how it's cooked.

Anyway, I was just at Home Depot, and was extremely surprised to find that there were almost no succulents there, but I did find some Hen and Chicks. I pointed it out to my mom, and she said that she had that in her garden. Are these succulents too hard to maintain, and do they need a LOT of sunlight? Is it possible to take a small cutting from the one in my mom's garden and plant it in a pot? If so, how? Would it be good for one of these plants to be in a garden?

Well, the whole reason I got interested in cacti was because I was going to the bookstore to look at some books on carnivorous plants, and, though I did find some, I also found a good book on cacti. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

\"I think we should always make certain we have chocolate. One never knows when it might be necessary.\"

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (VFT_lover123 @ April 29 2005,7:36)]I actually only want one plant, and when you buy seeds, it's usually at least 10 seeds per packet. I'm not really a hobbyist, or a collector. I just wanted a unique plant to have on my windowsill. Would I have to just plant all of the seeds, and move them all over the house? It'd look sorta weird having the same plant all over the place....
    Don't forget that some of the seeds may not sprout. The ones that sprout may die before they get past the seedling stage. It's possible that out of the 10 seeds you may have only three plants. If all ten do survive, pick out the best one and sell or give away the rest.

EDIT:
    If your mom has hen and chicks, just take one of the "chicks" and pot it up. As I recall, they have shallow roots at that stage.

One of the Steve's (I forget which [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] )
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here, check this site out. They have a full range of succulent cultivation info:

Succulent info.

Sorry to hear that this particular H.D. was deficient in plants. You'll just have to take a short drive to Reading, PA. They have a whole mess of them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks. Will one "chick" continue to produce more chicks? How many will there be at the maximum, before the plant usually dies? Would I be able to keep one Echevaria elegans plant in a pot it's entire life?

Haha, my grandparents live near Reading. The next time we visit, I'm sneaking off to H.D.!

Also, do you guys know of any cacti and/or succulent forums that you can register for free?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If by hen and chicks you mean sempervivum, these are hardy plants best suited for the greenhouse, and yes most will continue to produce more and more 'chicks' until they need weeding out.
    wrt a forum - this is the most lively one at the moment:
    <http://www.bcss.org.uk/forum/list.php?f=1>
    BR
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh. NOTHING will survive in my room I suppose. I'm desperate; is there any plant other than some type of flower(like marigolds or whatever) that will do ok indoors, in a pot, on a north-facing windowsill?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12