What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Astrophytum myriostigma?

Hi, I have questions about the Bishop's Cap. There's a chance that I may not be able to get a VFT, so my next alternatives are cacti. Unfortunately, my mother (we're from China) says that having spiny or sharp plants is bad feng shui. (part of the reason why I may not be able to get a VFT) So, I thought that cacti are pretty cool, too. So, I need help on these kinds of cactus. I've borrowed some cacti books from the library and found out that a type of globular cactus that is spineless is the Bishop's Cap. I'd prefer to have a globular cactus. Questions:

1. Is it really spineless? One book said that it has millions of tiny spines that look like white dots, but it also said that there is a form of it that is completely spineless, and a nice dark green color, too.

2. Is the care of it relatively easy? Do I need a lot of sunlight?

3. Would a commercial cactus soil be good? And what kind of compost would I give it, and how much, how often?

4. How big would it eventually grow? How big of a pot will I eventually need if I get one of these?

5. How long will it live?

6. Does it need a dormancy period?

7. How available are they? Will they sell these types in home improvement stores like the Home Depot or Lowe's?

1. Is it really spineless? One book said that it has millions of tiny spines that look like white dots, but it also said that there is a form of it that is completely spineless, and a nice dark green color, too.
> All cacti have spines of some kind - but in this plant they are minute and usually hidden.

2. Is the care of it relatively easy? Do I need a lot of sunlight?
> Mmm - yes - but they like lots of sun and a dry winter without frost.

3. Would a commercial cactus soil be good? And what kind of compost would I give it, and how much, how often?
> General soil based compost with 50% added grit or perlite would be best. A pot just a bit bigger than the plant, and some people like to add a bit of limestone.

4. How big would it eventually grow? How big of a pot will I eventually need if I get one of these?
> you will do well to get it to 8" - so never very large.

5. How long will it live?
> Could live a very long time - I've seen plants from seed sown in the 50s.

6. Does it need a dormancy period?
> Hold off the watering from Sep/Oct to Mar/Apr and keep it a bit cooler.

7. How available are they? Will they sell these types in home improvement stores like the Home Depot or Lowe's?
> Maybe - but seed is readily available.
My favourite 'spineless' cactus is Lophophora williamsii - but it is mostly illegal in the US - there are some forms of it that are listed under another species name - try looking at Mesa Gardens catalogue. Growing from seed is great fun and although it can take time is really rewarding.

Good luck
Chris

If you go to Home Depot or Lowes, they have a section for cactus and succulents. There are many in the cactus family that don't have spines.

You're fom China? do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese or Szechuan? Why am I feeling very hungry, all of a sudden?  
smile_m_32.gif

Check this thread out:

Cute succulents

Hm. Would you be able to feel the spines if you touched the cactus? (What really makes me mad is the fact that she has aloe in the house, christmas cactus in the house, and yet she still says sharp plants are bad feng shui.  
mad.gif
) And, I went to the Mesa Gardens website (Wow, New Mexico. Shipping would be really expensive, seeing as I live in NJ), and I saw that they had A. myriostigma v. nudum, and it is completely, well, "nude" with no white specks. Can you buy seeds for a certain variety? I guess that's a stupid question, but sometimes it seems like you hafta cultivate the seeds in a special way to get a certain variety. Is this true? Also, it is true that after many years, the plant will become columnar? I really like the cute little globular cacti...

By the way, jimscott, I'm learning to speak mandarin, and can understand a little Cantonese. I have no idea what Szechuan is....

Also, what about Astrophytum Asterias? Is this harder to grow, and less available than A. myriostigma?

Asterias is somewhat more difficult - and prone to losing its roots in the winter. The nudum varieties do come pretty much true from seed - and are worth a go. If you move to succulents the choice is much wider, and can include pachycaul plants that have a swollen root (look up Kedrostris in google pics). Some of these are spineless.
btw - look at the christams cactus at the joints - spines!

BR
Chris

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VFT_lover123 @ April 28 2005,10:31)]By the way, jimscott, I'm learning to speak mandarin, and can understand a little Cantonese. I have no idea what Szechuan is....
That was a play on words. While Mandarin & Cantonese are real languages, they and Szechuan are also styles of food found at many Chinese-American restaurants. Are you from Hong Kong or Taiwan? Do you know what "10 year sauce" is?

I guess Christmas cactus is too pointy?

What I meant by my last post is that for some reason, my mom has aloe AND christmas cactus, both of which are spiny, but she doesn't allow me to have a nice little globular, plain, spiny cactus. Or a venus flytrap.

jimscott, my dad is from Hong Kong, and my mom is from Fuzhou, which is a city on the eastern coast. I used to like to joke around that I was part British because Hong Kong used to be part of Britain.

So, Astrophytum Myriostigma it is, then. I actually only want one plant, and when you buy seeds, it's usually at least 10 seeds per packet. I'm not really a hobbyist, or a collector. I just wanted a unique plant to have on my windowsill. Would I have to just plant all of the seeds, and move them all over the house? It'd look sorta weird having the same plant all over the place....

And I will look at more succulents.

At our Home Depot, there are bazillions of succulent varieties. So it sounds as if you have been dealt with the old, "Do as I say, not as I do" double standard. I am sorry (and serious for once!)

Have you had the American version of Chinese food? Any good? Once I move away from NYC/Long Island, I couldn't find a decent egg roll. Do you know of 10 year sauce?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 29 2005,1:11)]At our Home Depot, there are bazillions of succulent varieties. So it sounds as if you have been dealt with the old, "Do as I say, not as I do" double standard. I am sorry (and serious for once!)
Hmm... I actually don't really know what you mean by that... This is my first time with any succulent-type plant, so I'm trying to find out as much as I can....

Seriously, the only place I found any REALLY good chinese food is NYC/Long Island, and Canada. Toronto, in fact. There's a big Cantonese population up there, and the food at the restaurants is really good!
smile.gif

I used ideomayic expressions. Sorry. From what you described earlier, it appears that your mom is doing what she is not allowing you to do and it may be confusing or hurtful to you. Either that, or we've got a language barrier thing going on and I am incredibly wrong.

I totally agree about the Chinese food. I guess I had it good when I lived in NYC and on Long Island. We visited Toronto once, and I almost coaxed my wife into some Chinese food in their Chinatown, but.... I'm in the mood for some Lobster Cantonese. How about you?

Ahe yes, the topic at hand.... I would be Steve's (any Steve - it doesn't matter) bottom dollar, that there should be some good books in the gardening section of Borders Bookstore and/or Barnes & Noble, to go along with the discussions provided on this forum, which is being provided by CactusChris. *whatever happened to CactusDoug?*

So, you are part British... do you feel "gutted" about all this spiny cactus stuff? I am learning how to speak British English.

Lobster rocks, no matter how it's cooked.

Anyway, I was just at Home Depot, and was extremely surprised to find that there were almost no succulents there, but I did find some Hen and Chicks. I pointed it out to my mom, and she said that she had that in her garden. Are these succulents too hard to maintain, and do they need a LOT of sunlight? Is it possible to take a small cutting from the one in my mom's garden and plant it in a pot? If so, how? Would it be good for one of these plants to be in a garden?

Well, the whole reason I got interested in cacti was because I was going to the bookstore to look at some books on carnivorous plants, and, though I did find some, I also found a good book on cacti.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (VFT_lover123 @ April 29 2005,7:36)]I actually only want one plant, and when you buy seeds, it's usually at least 10 seeds per packet. I'm not really a hobbyist, or a collector. I just wanted a unique plant to have on my windowsill. Would I have to just plant all of the seeds, and move them all over the house? It'd look sorta weird having the same plant all over the place....
Don't forget that some of the seeds may not sprout. The ones that sprout may die before they get past the seedling stage. It's possible that out of the 10 seeds you may have only three plants. If all ten do survive, pick out the best one and sell or give away the rest.

EDIT:
If your mom has hen and chicks, just take one of the "chicks" and pot it up. As I recall, they have shallow roots at that stage.

One of the Steve's (I forget which
smile_n_32.gif
)

Here, check this site out. They have a full range of succulent cultivation info:

Succulent info.

Sorry to hear that this particular H.D. was deficient in plants. You'll just have to take a short drive to Reading, PA. They have a whole mess of them!

Okay, thanks. Will one "chick" continue to produce more chicks? How many will there be at the maximum, before the plant usually dies? Would I be able to keep one Echevaria elegans plant in a pot it's entire life?

Haha, my grandparents live near Reading. The next time we visit, I'm sneaking off to H.D.!

Also, do you guys know of any cacti and/or succulent forums that you can register for free?

If by hen and chicks you mean sempervivum, these are hardy plants best suited for the greenhouse, and yes most will continue to produce more and more 'chicks' until they need weeding out.
wrt a forum - this is the most lively one at the moment:
<http://www.bcss.org.uk/forum/list.php?f=1>
BR
Chris

Gosh. NOTHING will survive in my room I suppose. I'm desperate; is there any plant other than some type of flower(like marigolds or whatever) that will do ok indoors, in a pot, on a north-facing windowsill?

Back