Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hoping i can get help with ids, guesses are great

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mist them with water first as some are capable of goin airborn. Duct-tape is the way to extract the hair like blonde spines. Use the tape like you would a body wax and all gone spines. Tap water is fine and water when it is totally dry all the way through. Frequency depends on humidity and heat locally. Fertilize at half strength if desired. Soil should be very loose with pumice, sand, lava rock, grit, things like that. Ocasionally hort lime can be added to terrestrial desert Genera if desired.
    All the Selenicereus are extremely vigorous and invasive like an Ivy.

Thanks for the kiss [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear! It's late and I'm slap happy!

Here ya go Joe! For all your hard work!

Horticultural lime, huh? Where do I get that? My all time favorite chain of gardening centers (Franks Nursery) closed down. They used to have all the nicer stuff. I don't think HD carries that but I will check. Also too, what type of a fertilizer do I use? Do you have a name brand for me?

By the way, out of the plants that I photographed individually, take another look at plant #2 and plant #4. #4 is an oddball as it only has 4 lobes and it is columnar. It doesn't seem to fit in anywhere. #2 doesn't seem to fit anything. The shape is wrong totally to match anything I found and that's another one that has only 4 lobes. C. jamacaru has 5 lobes or maybe it was 6. Most of the others have many. I just can't seem to find any cereus that have only 4. Pretty much all of the others have 5 or more. I was able to zero in on the other plants based on all of your ID's. Holy cow do they play musical chairs with renaming and reclassifying cacti. I've never quite seen anything like that. The other thing is all these nurseries seem to rarely bother to register their cultivars. You'd think they'd take the time to follow through and register.

No worries about invasiveness here. Anything that isn't native to the continent stays in the house or in this case, at the office. All of the cacti and succulents are at my office. I like them there. At home we have an aprilaire humidifier attached to each furnace. The humidity here even in the winter is at 40%. The office on the other hand is very dry. Probably the perfect spot for all of those cacti and succulents and I have a nice big southern window to set them up in front of.

Are we having fun yet or what! I am but poor you for having to id all of my plant finds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, looking back I didn mis-nomer a few. #4 try looking up C. "Fairy Castles"
    #2 Try Azureocereus, in strong light it should turn bluish. #7 I think is the plain C. tetragonus.

The splitters have had their way with the Cactacaea, it is ongoing but Dr. Hunt (no relation) of the Cactaceaen Systematics Group is ready to set it straight with the Newest Lexicon since Backeburge in June of this year. Complete with Atlas of habitats. Should be an excellent peice.

The lime you'll probably find in a bright yellow bag with red lettering. (P.S. I also use on my Clematis, they love it.)
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JACK POT!

#2- Azureocereus hertlingianus

Cha Ching!
    You're right on #4 too!

Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which also carries the name Pilocereus azureus, Azureocereus hertlingianus is the correct for the moment though.

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could #9 be a Crassula ovata 'Gollum'? i have this plant:

which was sold by the greenhouse as "Hobbit Ear Jade", and i found a number of reference pictures online labelled Crassula ovata var. 'Hobbit'. the so-called 'Gollum' variety looked exactly like yours, more tubular without the flare at the end. there does seem to be a lot of confusion on the jade plant names though... maybe someone could help both of us out
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it was my determination it was Crassula Oblique 'Gollum' aka C. ovata 'Hobbit'. The deal with cacti and succulents appears to be a repeated and habitual re-classification issue. It's ongoing. I am convinced they do this to keep us on our toes. To hobbyists such as you and me, this is incredibly frustrating.

Right now I have a little cacti that I am fondly referring to as "Cousin It". It is the cutest little thing. I found a gazillion entries for "Cousin It". Once I began to delve deeper, I learned that most of the entries were synonyms. Oh what fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe we should lump them all together as "Crassula confusius"....

personally, i call mine 'Shrek' [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast