What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey im a noob

Hey wen i buy some tropicals plants, last time i go to buy them they give free!!!!, some cactus, but i only have a cactus one time and it died... = (, i dont know what they are or what to do!!!, i found this forum this day and i wanna ask, what they need??, one is a lithop, other is a succulent, other are cactus, ones look like a ball, other are like towers, others look like flowers, well i need some info, i give them the same water that i use for carnivores, i begin to give them tap water, cuz my uncle say they dont need a water w out salt, they look cool, i give them water 1 time each sunday, they are in the window of my room, ok tks to all.

Gecko in the advator? Cute.

Yeah seems your doing everything alright. As for me, some make it and some don't. Sounds like you have a "living stone/rock" as they call it. I have never really tried them, but they are rather cool.

What does your 'cactus' look like?

Rules of thumb for most cacti and succulents:

1. Light: As much as can be provided. However, contrary to popular belief, most cacti detest scorching heat. So bright light in a normal temperature (60-90F) environment is good.

2. Watering: This depends on your environmental conditions. Rule of thumb is to water only when the top 1-2" of soil is dry. When you water, do it thoroughly and try to do it in the morning so that the soil is not totally wet overnight (promotes rot). I sit my pots in water for 10min so that all the soil is wet. When finished, make sure there is NO water in the saucer or you'll get rot. Most cacti like some sort of winter dormancy (not usually required to live, but it is for flowering) during which they prefer to be watered much less.

3. Soil: Any very loose and well draining mix will do. Many cactophiles avoid peat-based potting mixes, but if you're just getting started, a mix of 1:1 mix of cactus soil:perlite should do.

4. Fertilizing: During spring and summer, fertilize once every two waterings with miracle gro (or other fertilizer) at half-strenght. I wouldn't fertilize at other times of the year.

5. *Lithops: Lithops and other mesembs require their own unique cultivation. Watering is the most essential element. Very briefly (many would argue too briefly, but this message is already long), water only when soil is dry and when you see new leaves emerging from the old pair, DO NOT WATER AGAIN (or water very sparingly) UNTIL THE OLD LEAVES ARE COMPLETELY SHRIVELLED AND DRY. This could take months, but if you water too much during this time, the old leaves will perist ("stack") which doesn't look good and can be detrimental to the plant. Mesembs are not for everyone and they can be dissapointing to own if you don't meet their requirements (but most people kill them due to being overly generous with water, etc.).

This should get you going in the right direction. Good luck.

ok, i take care to not over water them, tks to all.

Back