What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free bugs!

Greetings,

There was an outbreak of beetles along the river here this summer.  I'm not sure of the species, but they are fairly small and of a uniform size.  Anyway, I took advantage of this and collected a bunch of them (in some areas they were so bad the branches of trees were blackened by them).  All summer I experimented feeding Nepenthes these beetles and the results were impressive.  I have too many of them for my use and am offering some for free, I pay shipping.  They are fresh and best stored in the freezer and thawed when needed.

I have enough for 2 people, perhaps a 1/4 cup (or slightly more) each.  It's enough to keep a small collection of Neps happy for awhile. If anyone is interested, post here and I will PM you with details.

Brian

I would like some
smile.gif
, my neps will finally eat something besides ants.

Ninja edit: How big are these beetles?

I'll take some.

-Rail

The beetles are fairly small, around 1/8". I've used them for Nepenthes of all sizes.

Brian

I just got my bugs in, thanks alot!! The cup kinda got flattened but the bugs were fine. It'll take a while to use THAT many so they are in the freezer.

-Rail

Yea, using the cup was a bad idea. I wish I had some plastic test tubes to ship them.

If I ever get time, I want to take some photos documenting the growth spurt I get from feeding Nepenthes once a week with insects.

Brian

I got them too, the cup was broken, so it took a while to sort them. They almost filled up one 50ml tube, so much bugs
smile.gif
. With only one or two beetles per pitcher and per week. At this rate, it will last a year or more lol.

Carnivorous Freak,

PM me your address. I still have a lot of bugs left.

Brian

PLz tell me when you are ging to send ther bugs. Also, if you already sent it, plz tell me when you sent it. Thank you

we've all gone insane lol

Reading the topic title, I am reminded and bemused by a forum member whose PM once read, "Want some fruitflies?" Now how often, outside of a CP forum, do you think that question gets asked?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Carnivorous freak: I will PM you when I send the bugs. It'll be sometime this week.

Jimscott: I do realize how strange the offer is. Only on a CP Forum would something like this get replies.

I figure in America you can pretty much give anything away for free. FREE dirty gym socks! I pay shipping.

That aside, the beetles are really great for Nepenthes.

Brian

I gave one to a sundew and a VFT, and they love 'em. Hey, I've got dibs on those gym socks!!! lol

-Rail

My plants survived the hurricance, but they didn't survive the rats gnawing on my pitchers, and just when I started feeding them the beetles :p

Hi Brian. The beetles arrived and I'd like to say Thank you very much. They arrived un damaged but dead. No problem though. I have fed my neps. some and they love it. Thanks!!!!

I guess that makes sense. Ya it does. One provlem though. How will I feed it to my vft's? Doesnt the bug have to move around? One last thing, how long will they keep in my freezer?

Back