What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This forum is for Trading.

• Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    free
Hi folks, it looks like the old rules post has vanished, so I wanted to revisit the basic trading forum rules. Phil allows us to use his webspace, out of his own pocket, so let's try to live by the following:

1) Please do NOT post to BUY or SELL plants in this forum. You may ask for compensation for shipping, but that is all. Also, please don't say "free plants" and charge $8 for shipping.

Just a friendly reminder for everyone.

I agree, but I do have to add one thing. $8.00 for shipping is not high. I like to use priority mail flat rate boxes, and those cost $8.00, and that's not even adding anything extra to cover your packing material.

$4.05 is the flat fee for priority mail, and boxes are free
smile.gif
Price gets higher if it weighs more.

Rules are gone? Nope, they are still stuck to the top. You can also get to them from here.
Andrew

depending on whats being shipped $8 may or may not be to high but it can easily be seen when its not unreasonable. depending on what being shipped when you factor in packaging materials and insurance and such you can get close to $8 easily especially with neps larger than youngins.

I meant the flat rate boxes. They are a flat eight dollars to ship. I try not to use those unless I am sending something heavy and I can save money that way, but regardless of what you put in those boxes or where it is going, it costs eight dollars to ship. They are different from the regular priority mail boxes. I mail a lot of stuff since I sell on ebay. Now, charging 20.00 for shipping and handling is going too far, but eight dollars is not. You can ship cheaper than that, though.

Well, unless you send to another "continent", it's cheaper to use regular priority mail, even you include insurance and Track and Confirm. Also it's not the plant that weighs a lot, it's the soil. Maybe it costs a lot for inspection that country requires.

<span style='color:teal'>Hello guys!  
smile.gif

If you ship anything thru USPS Priority Mail from any part of the Nation to any part of the Nation (including 50 states and all the terrotories) and its weight is 1 lbs or less the standard rate is $4.05. If you are going to send it in a flate rate Priority Mail Box, as long as what you are sending can get into that box it will be $8.10. So the boxes that USPS have as a flat rate (boxes) are $8.10.

Just to give you the exact rates  
smile_m_32.gif
</span>

Also, not everybody sends USPS! Shipping costs vary drastically between package size/weight and shipping service!

-D. Lybrand

Is that why some eBay auctions charge such high shipping, because they use that "flat rate?"

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is that why some eBay auctions charge such high shipping, because they use that "flat rate?"

No, Joe. That's actually a sneaky way of cheating Ebay out of their commision, since the commision is on the sale price, not the shipping. So people offer something for a rediculously low price, but charge out the yin yang for shipping so they get to keep more money.

I don't understand why this is a rule.

If petflytrap dose NOT SELL whatever you have, why can't you charge for it? How is that hurting anything?

I think its a stupid rule that needs to be changed. How about this. As long as whatever you need to get rid of is NOT SOLD on petflytrap and you are NOT selling it for a competitor, then you can charge for it if you wish. Alot of n00bs have a hard time getting started because they just don't have anything for trade.

Thats my 2cents.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Mar. 14 2006,10:57)]I don't understand why this is a rule.

If petflytrap dose NOT SELL whatever you have, why can't you charge for it?  How is that hurting anything?  

I think its a stupid rule that needs to be changed.  How about this.  As long as whatever you need to get rid of is NOT SOLD on petflytrap and you are NOT selling it for a competitor, then you can charge for it if you wish.  Alot of n00bs have a hard time getting started because they just don't have anything for trade.  

Thats my 2cents.
This is the rule because this is a TRADING forum and not a selling forum.  The rule is put in place to avoid problems that are inherent with selling (e.g., what is fair market value).  In addition, this forum is not obligated to allow selling.  There are enough problems with trading alone.  New growers will find people more than generous here.  Many plants have been freely given merely for the cost of postage.

And as is if this bears repeating, this site is here as a courtesy by the owners, not an entitlement.  They can make whatever rules they want.  Saying that the rules are stupid is certainly not going to change them.  This is not subject to debate, nor were opposing views solicited because things might change if we say 'the rule is stupid and should be changed'.  

Now, whatever you and another member work out in PMs, email etc, as these are not monitored, you can do.  But posting of items for sale is not allowed, end of story.

Calm down dude, I'm not demanding anything. Just giving my opinion, it's just a suggestion.

I know that the owner can do whatever the hell they want with this site and my little comment means next to nothing.

When I say something is "Stupid" I don't mean it as harshly as you interpreted it. I really ment it in a lighthearted way. But one thing I still don't understand is that thousands of other forums have "for sale" sections that do just fine. Are you saying that people here are crooks that will take you cash and run? I dont think people here would be nearly as bad as the people selling things on the car forums. And once again, I'm not commanding a change. I honestly could care less if this forum gets a "for sale" section.

I am calm. Using the word stupid on an internet forum is not necessarily going to be interpreted in a lighthearted way. There was nothing in the context of your post to suggest that. And if you want to sell things on those 'thousands' of other forums, you are free to do so. In fact there are ones where you can sell CP. Just not this one, end of story again, I hope. As previously stated, this is NOT subject to debate.

Dude... not sure what you "ment" but:

1 a : slow of mind : OBTUSE b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : BRUTISH
2 : dulled in feeling or sensation : TORPID <still stupid from the sedative>
3 : marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : SENSELESS
4 a : lacking interest or point b : VEXATIOUS, EXASPERATING <this stupid flashlight won't work>

Let me write my opinion. I think the rules are good. You never know that this company would sell other CP that they don't sell now. Also, if it's allowed to sell stuff here, there will be people from other company might sell their CP here, consider that this site is the most active and has most people who trades here. Well, I'm outa in this discussion
smile.gif

Dude... I agree. I think it's rude to call someone dude who don't know you or you don't know that person. That person might be older than you... much older...

This is a COMMERCIAL forum remember and if you spend $5 on plants not sold here, that is still potentially $5 less you have available for spending at Pet Flytrap.

Here's an analogy for you:

Would you set up a garage selling Fords and let out a patch on your front tarmac to a little garage selling Volkswagens?

Back