What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have an established nep for trade

I can take a picture of the actual rooted section if anyone wants to see it, but it takes a while to load because I have dial up. I do have a picture of the mother plant, however, so maybe that will suffice. It was labeled as an alata when I bought it, but I was told by someone that it looks like a ventricosa.

Wish List:
any hemeliaphlora (I can't spell it right)
any fly trap other than typical, preferrably red and/or very large traps
cephalotus

as much as I love mexican pings, I just don't have any more space for one right now.
flowers007.jpg

like I said, this is the mother plant. The one I'm offering is much smaller than this. I will send it potted. It started as a bare stalk only about one inch tall. It now has about six different growing points, some of which are still just little green shoots coming out of the nodes, but some of which have leaves with little tiny green pitchers forming.

What is the name of this specie? Looks very nice
smile.gif

Oops, never mind. Didn't read the first sentence
smile.gif

That would be a N. x ventrata, a hybrid between N. ventricosa and N. alata.
Looks to be DeRoose TC plant, too.

Cheers,

Joe

ok, good to have a name for it. I got it from a local nursery at Christmas. The offer is still open..

Nice. I have one Ventrata that never forms a pitcher
smile.gif

What kind of plant are you looking for?

little nices, here are a few that I am looking for:
any hemeliaphlora (I can't spell it right)
any fly trap other than typical, preferrably red and/or very large traps
cephalotus
or maybe some sarracenia, any except scarlet belle

Have you tried using a foliar spray of fertilizer on yours? It has done wonders for mine. I use superthrive.

Well, I have a single clump of H. heterodoxa and I also have single clump of S. flava ,rubra.
smile.gif

I use vitamin for reptiles as a fertilizer but I think fertilizer is not necessary
smile.gif

Well, typically for a CP fertilixer is not necessary, but if yours is not forming pitchers, then it would help give it that boost needed to form a pitcher. Then if you can just make sure it can get bugs in that pitcher you should be okay after that. Superthrive is not a fertilizer, it is plant hormone and it works great. Although some people do use a weak orchid fertilizer. I just use superthrive and it works wonders. But seriously, if it is not forming pichers then its not as happy as it could be, there is something that it is needing. It takes a lot of energy for them to produce those pitchers.

Well, around my house, there's no nursery (even Home Depot
smile_h_32.gif
) that sells superthrive or fertlizers that are good for CP. That's why I give my nep. tap water and vitamin for reptiles
smile.gif

Actually, I think the no. 1 symptom of overfertilization is not pitchering. Have a look at the Nep guide on the CP FAQ. You may want to try switching to a low-mineral-content water for a few months. Neps only produce pitchers to catch bugs when they are nutrient-deficient; if you're fertilizing it, then it doesn't need to be carnivorous and can grow better by focusing on growing big leaves and stalks rather than pitchering to find food. Neps get all the energy they need from light - the occasional bug is sufficient for their vitamin/mineral needs.
~Joe

Thanks. I'll give it a mineral free water; I grow most of my CP outside in Spring through Fall
smile.gif

Back